spiced beef

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

spiced beef

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:45 am

going give it ago, now this isnt a set recipe, im just having a play around, i want to use the all purpose curing salts from this site and add mixed spices during the dry curing, its either going to be topside, brisket or silverside which ever the wife turns up with tonight, so has anyone got any tips for me?? curing times per kg and cooking times, i would imagine it not going to be larger than around a kg.
will use a basic mixed spice from the supermarkets any other ingredients that might enhance the beef , perhaps some garlic?? :lol:
Cheers Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:58 pm

The following may give you a few ideas. Leave out the saltpetre and use the curing salt as you planed. I have not made this recipe yet, so can't recommend it.
I wrote:Spiced Beef

Spiced beef is traditionally eaten at Christmas time. It tends to be rather expensive to buy as it is quite labour intensive to make, though it uses a modestly enough priced cut. It can be made at home, but it does take time.

7 Ib/3 kg even-sized piece of topside or silverside
2 tsp each ground cloves, milled black pepper,
allspice, cinnamon, mace
and saltpetre
2 tbsp black treacle
2 tbsp brown sugar
cold water to cover
bottle Guinness
½ cup salt

Combine all the ingredients except the beef, water and Guinness. Place the beef in a bowl and cover with the mixture. Rub it in once or twice a day for a week. Tie up the meat into a good shape and place in a pan. Cover with cold water to which a bottle of Guinness has been added. Simmer gently for 5-6 hours. When cool, press lightly between two plates. The beef is usually served cold, thinly sliced.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:06 pm

Cheers oddley

found a recipe some years back which i tried then , but didnt come out to well , hopefully give it another go with your guide.Will be vacpacking the beef with the dry ingredients so hopefully only need a few days worth of curing, much along the same lines as bacon would cure , dont like the beef too spicey, just a nice hint of spice Ifank noo Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats