Salami Calabrese?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Salami Calabrese?

Postby grisell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi guys!

I will make some salami tomorrow, one of them a hot Italian. I have studied a few recipes on the net. My question is about dosage of chili. I was thinking to use Turkish chili flakes for "body" and cayenne pepper for "strength". L Poli suggests ~2 teaspoons flakes/kg stuffing and Wedlinydomowe suggests ½ tsp flakes + ½ tsp 'chili powder' (?) per kg stuffing in their Soppressata recipe.

I think they both appear like too little. What do you suggest? I want it really hot, but not 'nuclear hot' if you know what I mean. One must be able to feel the taste of the meat. Not too easy a balance, maybe.

I will air dry the salami, unsmoked.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby squidbait » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:42 pm

I will be interested in this as well. I am almost ready to get my next batch going, and a hot one sounds great. Do you have the rest of the recipe worked out?
squidbait
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 pm

More or less. :? It will be a compromise between the recipes I've read. I will go 100% pork, add 28 grams salt including cure per kg meat, some dextrose, white pepper, fresh garlic (not too much), a little crushed aniseed and a little red Sicilian wine. Stuff into beef middles (because that's what I have at home). Starter cultures (lactic acid, mould) and incubate for three days at room temp. Then dry.

It's just the amount of chili I'm a little curious about.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:03 pm

I will roll a few of them in ash after incubation. There is a French salami "Saucisson à Cendre" that is rolled in ash. It's rare and said to be delicious so why not try? :wink:
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby squidbait » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:20 pm

What kind of ash? That is interesting.
squidbait
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Ordinary wood ash from my parents' fireplace. I just checked with them that they hadn't burned anything strange in it.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Re: Salami Calabrese?

Postby BriCan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:23 am

grisell wrote:Hi guys!

I will make some salami tomorrow, one of them a hot Italian. I have studied a few recipes on the net. My question is about dosage of chili. I was thinking to use Turkish chili flakes for "body" and cayenne pepper for "strength". L Poli suggests ~2 teaspoons flakes/kg stuffing and Wedlinydomowe suggests ½ tsp flakes + ½ tsp 'chili powder' (?) per kg stuffing in their Soppressata recipe.

I think they both appear like too little. What do you suggest? I want it really hot, but not 'nuclear hot' if you know what I mean. One must be able to feel the taste of the meat. Not too easy a balance, maybe..

I use 5.5 gm per kg chilli flakes in my Chorizo which has a good bite, so would suggest 1.5 gm first time round and maybe up it to 2 gm per kg if too light for the next round.

As for cayenne pepper, I would go with 2 gm per kg if using a hot cayenne or 4 gm per kg if not a hot cayenne.

Just my observations
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Scotty2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:48 am

Andre, use fennel seed as opposed to anise. I go 2% calabrese hot pepper powder for good heat, no idea about cayenne, never touch the stuff :wink:
Scotty2
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:03 am

Sorry Andre, I'm with Scott on this, I cant see what place Cayenne has in a Calabrese salami.

I find it all heat and no flavour so dont use it in anything charcuterie wise,

Can you not source Calabrin pepper in Sweden? It will give you a salami thats in aa different world to one thats just been 'spiked' with cayenne powder.

As for Cayenne in a Chorizo, BriCan I'm shocked :lol:
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:47 am

quietwatersfarm wrote:As for Cayenne in a Chorizo, BriCan I'm shocked :lol:

Oh ye ov little fafe :lol:

I would never put Cayenne in a Chorizo :P

Pork
Oregano
Crushed Chilli
Black Pepper
Salt
Paprika
Red Wine
Garlic

all dun proper like :wink:
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:47 am

sorry, I misread!

Thank goodness! I had to go and comfort the 30kgs I hung up last night :lol:
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks, all! :D

I will use a combination of Cayenne and chili flakes. The Turkish chili flakes I can find here have a very good flavour but are quite mild, so they need some cayenne to get the heat. The cayenne I have is of excellent quality and not just 'hot'. Since I use a lot of chili in my cooking, I'm quite discriminating about it.

No, I can't find Calabrese pepper here unfortunately, but this is a small batch and I might order some from Scotty later on, depending on how I like the salami. I've tried chorizo before, but I wasn't very excited. It had too many flavours. Yes, I will use fennel instead of aniseed. I forgot about the taste of aniseed since I hardly ever use it. I tasted a few grains yesterday and had a licorice aftertaste and numb sensation in my mouth for hours afterwards. :shock: I don't want a licorice salami.

BTW, I find some of L Poli's recipes a little dubious. He uses only 20 g salt/kg meat in some of the salamis, and I don't think that sounds safe. :?
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Len Poli is a god!!! :D I would forgive him most anything for what he has done for salami making across the world.

Not everything will be to all tastes but I dont think you will come to any harm making anything he's given you the recipe for.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:59 pm

grisell wrote:BTW, I find some of L Poli's recipes a little dubious. He uses only 20 g salt/kg meat in some of the salamis, and I don't think that sounds safe. :?

before I get my head chewd againe :lol: I use 25 gm of 'all purpose courning salt' to every kg

HTH
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:02 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:sorry, I misread!

Thank goodness! I had to go and comfort the 30kgs I hung up last night :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I'm doing mine this week as well as Hungarian Farmer sausage :D
BriCan
Registered Member

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats