Pork loins. smoked and dried/cured

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Pork loins. smoked and dried/cured

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:30 am

Hi Members,
I bought 2 pork loins this week end. I would like to smoke one and cure and dry the other.
The smoked one I have to cure with # 1 if I am correct but the cured and dried variety needs Cure # 2.

I just don't know the recipe for the salt/cure #2 combination. Total weight of this loin is 2095 gram. Is there a formula for calculating the amount of
Cure #2

The one I like to cure/smoke is 1948 grams.
Australian Government regulations are 125ppm. With my simple mind I come to 3.89 or 3.9 gram of Cure #1.
Thank you again Tom for explaining this all to me in a PM.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any well tried and tested recipes from members are greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi Jan :D

You are correct, you'll need cure #2 for the dried loin. possibly for the smoked one too.
I'll try to answer more fully tomorrow. Lomo might be a good thing to try. I think Jason or Scotty, or both did versions on their sites.

All the best

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 pm

by the way, do you know the proportions of your cure#1 & #2?
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Ryan C,
I have worked out the amount of cure #1 for one loin if that is applicable for the smoked end result.
The cure #2 for the dried variety is something I don't know how to work it out. I am not sure if the PPM in Australia is applicable for the dried variety.
See my previous email.
Thank you,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:30 pm

this question seems to come up often. do australians/europeans not have the capability of ordering some mortons tenderquick via internet? it is premixed salt, sugar and cure, and can be rubbed onto meat used for drying and/or cold smoking. it eliminates the guess work of the saltpetre/cure 1/cure 2 dilemma. spices can be added as desired. seeems easier than trying to custom create a cure for people having trouble doing so.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:59 am

Hi Chorizo kid,
It would be nice to buy the Mortons tenderquick of the shelf here. Our biggest problem is having a very small population and an ever smaller amount of people doing all this sausagemaking, curing and smoking.
The turn-over would not be big enough for an importer to order substantial quantities and get it landed at an affordable price, after beating all the regulations and inspection charges here.
I do know!!, I am an importer myself. Over the last few weeks I have finally succeeded to get approval for importing ready made-up smallgoods spice mixes from Germany. Evertything has to be heat sealed at the factory with signed declarations attached.
This way, if there is any funny stuff involved, they know who's goolies to hang out over the fire.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats