Mold

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Mold

Postby sausagedevil » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:47 pm

At what point in the curing and drying process should I add mold (Mold 600) to my sausages. :twisted:
sausagedevil
Registered Member

Postby dave zac » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:44 pm

I would add it immediately after stuffing and preparing to ferment. However, I think you will be OK to mold after fermentation as well.
dave zac
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:19 pm

To elaborate on Dave Zac's reply: Mold 600 is a culture to create nice white mould on the casings of sausage to protect them from the nasty ones - rather than a fermentation culture to reduce the PH. So, as he say's, "add it after stuffing and preparing to ferment".

My understanding is that you spray it on to the product (or immerse the product in it) after you've made the salami/sausage.

As far as I am aware, you don't add it to the sausage mix.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 am

You should apply the mold culture ASAP after stuffing in order not to give any bad mold an advantage. Bad mold grows very fast in the high humidity and temperature during fermentation and if it finds hold, the situation will be irreversible.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:37 pm

I've just started using mold 600, and it arrived mid-dry on some of my salumi.

I applied the mold innoculate (distilled water, sugar) to the salumi. It was about 5 weeks in and I had already knocked bad mold off once or twice with vinegar, so I would imagine that the acidulated surface fought off some of the mold 600 as well.

Two weeks later when they were dried there was some nice white powdery mold but nothing to get excited about.

My next batch, I applied the innoculate three times a day while I fermented for two days. I put them in my curing chamber and left for a five day vacation. When I came back, the white mold growth was astonishing and the coverage was nearly 100%.

So, chalk one up for application during fermentation.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Mold

Postby sausagedevil » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like application during fermentation will produce a good mold coverage and ward off nasties. Maybe a later application can produce a milder appearance of white covering, I like the look of this too. I know that the appearance of the mold is not the significant factor but rather the protective qualities that it bestows but call me shallow, I like the look of it!!!
I have some sausages ( pork and date and pork and duck) about 4 weeks hanging and I have needed to wipe them down with vinegar twice due to suspicious looking furries and these have not returned.
I am going to spray them with a mold 600 solution while they finish drying.
Will let you know the results.
When I get a camera i will post some pictures.
Diolch yn fawr
Pablo. :twisted:
sausagedevil
Registered Member

Postby Pig » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 am

Out of interest, where did you manage to get hold of Mold 600 being based in North Wales?
Pig
Newly Registered

Return to Recipes for cured meats