Creating Recipes?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Creating Recipes?

Postby casualties_army40 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 am

Hi, Im looking at creating my own fermented, air dried sausage out of kangaroo meat. I have about 5 kg of trim meat and 3 kg of already minced meat to use.

Ok so i was thinking instead of just using an existing recipe and substituting the meat with roo, i would make my own flavoured that compliment the roo nicely.

so my question is if i create a few recipes and make a really small batch of each into fresh sausage, and I find one i really like, could i add cure#2, fermenting culture and more salt , and ferment then air dry the sausage?

Would that work or do i need to do anything specific? like adjusting herbs and spices etc.?

Thanks for your help.
casualties_army40
Registered Member

Re: Creating Recipes?

Postby BriCan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:22 pm

casualties_army40 wrote:so my question is if i create a few recipes and make a really small batch of each into fresh sausage, and I find one i really like, could i add cure#2

yes; need to work out how much to use per gram and the multiply by the amount of meat which you will represent in a unit of grams
fermenting culture

again the answer is yes, just make sure you calculate for the amount of meat used
and more salt

again the answer is yes, I use 20g per kg which would be 0.02g per gram
and ferment then air dry the sausage?

again the answer is yes, remember to write down all you formulations as well as procedures.

Would that work or do i need to do anything specific? like adjusting herbs and spices etc.?

The above will work, as for spices and herbs one has to keep a close eye on them as it seems that when working on lager batches some spices or herbs can and will overpower your end product, this I have learned from past mistakes

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby casualties_army40 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks for the reply. im going to get onto creating some recipes today. i was thinking of using some native herbs and spices like native thyme, bush tomato and mountain peper. Hopefully will be delicious.

One questions...anyone ever used fruit in thier air dried sausage? I was thinking dried fruits like muntries or or nastive cranberry?

Thanks for your help.
casualties_army40
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:29 am

casualties_army40 wrote:One questions...anyone ever used fruit in thier air dried sausage? I was thinking dried fruits like muntries or or nastive cranberry?

I cannot recall using fruit in are dried sausage but saying that if the fruit is dehydrated [dried out] I do not think there should be a problem Just remember that dried fruit will have a stronger flavour that fresh so go easy on what you add.

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats