Bresaola Recipe

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Bresaola Recipe

Postby ryanpropst » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:00 pm

Does anyone have a good Bresaola Recipe. I have the one from Leaves on a Walnut tree and the 3 variations of the same recipe in 3 different books. I am looking for other recipes that might be different to try. This one has red wine, salt, orange peel, chili pepper or chillies, rosemary, pepper corns, etc. Thanks in Advance if anyone has a recipe to share.

Cheers,

Ryan
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. - Epictetus

Ryan Propst
Sydney, Australia
Culinary Student
www.xanga.com/ryaninoz
ryanpropst
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:30 pm

Ryan

There is a recipe on Len Poli's site,
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_files/bresaola.pdf

Hope it helps

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:20 pm

You could try Franco's recipe, which I found, that he'd posted on another site.

Franco wrote:Bresaola

Ingredients

3kg sirloin or topside
70 grammes sea salt
60 grammes sugar
10 grammes cure 2 (I sell this on my site)
8 grammes ground black pepper
4 grammes dried garlic
5 grammes mixed Italian herbs, rosemary, oregano etc..
10 juniper berries,crushed

Method

1.Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2.Divide the mixture in 2
3.Rub half of the mixture into the beef making sure it penetrates all flaps etc.
4.Leave the beef for seven days sealed in a Ziploc bag or under vacuum.
5.After 7 days pour off any excess liquid and rub the second portion of the spice mix into the meat and reseal.
6.Leave for another 2 weeks in the bag and after that rinse the meat.
7.Put the meat into elastic netting and air dry for 6 hours in a warm room.
8. Hang the meat to mature for a minimum of 3 weeks.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Under what conditions must the 3 week hang be in?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:10 pm

aris, Franco didn't say but I would if it were me hang it in an airy place with a temp of about 50 deg F, for the 3 weeks. This is the usual environment for this sort of thing.
Oddley
Registered Member

Bresaola and hanging conditions

Postby ryanpropst » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:32 pm

aris wrote:Under what conditions must the 3 week hang be in?

That is a good question. I have researched and read and even called Gill at River Cottage HQ from Australia to discuss and can't seem to find a definitive answer. I keep reading a cool, airy location. Well cool can mean alot to different people. Obviously the best would be refrigerated/climatically controlled environment. That all my research has suggested the relative humidity (RH) should be between 65 & 70%, temp -optimal would be around 50 to 55F. I hung one and only bresaola thus far in a room that maintained a temp between 65 and 70 degrees F with a RH of between 67 and 69%. I monitored this room with a combination temp/humidity monitor from Oregon Scientific. The Bresaola came out fine, even took some to my butcher, who worked for a small good producer. He told me it was top quailty and should try and sell some of it. Though this is just for personal use/enjoyment and the satisfaction of making my own small goods. That said, I was concerned about hanging my dry cured (salt/sugar/nit) ham when it is ready and Gill from River Cottage seem to suggest that if you get the air drying process started for a good 2 months to get the drying started a bit of heat in the 3rd month is not as much an issue. He said their last month of drying for this last batch of hams, the temp ranged from 15 to 25 C (59 to 77F). Again this was our discussion so don't hold him to any information quoted here. I was looking for a more definitive answer from him and did not feel that he was as knowldegable about this as I'd hoped from talking to him to be honest, but their hams turned out o.k. though they have now just recently been moved to a refrigerated cooler (it being their summer now). The best place obviously is the coolest you can find that still maintains a breeze. I asked Gill about using a fan and he said that might be o.k. to simulate a breeze and assist in the drying process. The room I use has two windows that I can open. I wrapped my bresaola in butchers hanging mesh (very open large weave, put cheese cloth around this and then finally put a brown paper bag over it to prevent critters/flies during the drying process. I do live in Australia and we have lots of critters here.
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. - Epictetus

Ryan Propst
Sydney, Australia
Culinary Student
www.xanga.com/ryaninoz
ryanpropst
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:05 pm

ryanpropst, I wouldn't be too hard on anybody, info on this subject is pretty scarce. The reason for 50 f is this is a reasonably safe temp to dry out cured meat.

Some bacteria are inhibited from reproducing wildly at that temp that is not to say all. That is why the meat is salted and nitrates are added the PH is also important.

The reason that the person said the later stages of the drying temps, was not quite as critical is that with a lower water level or dehydration comes a lower risk of bacterial infection.
Last edited by Oddley on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

temps, etc.

Postby ryanpropst » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:42 pm

That makes sense on the water content and drying. I understand that critters can grow between 40 and 120...the 'danger zone'. I also have a background as a RN/BSN nurse, fair bit of bio and organic chemistry and so appreciate the potential for infection/bacterial growth/contimination. That said, I am not trying to be hard on anyone, and I totally agree, there is a DEARTH of information out there on this subject. But I do have about 15 to 18 books supposedly the best on this topic I am reading and researching thru and the level of info on temps is appalling. That said, it is one reason I am here to try and learn from people who have experience. It is also very sad to me that I've asked around here to numerous small goods producers to learn just for myself....and NO ONE is willing to teach me or help me. Again, I am seriously thinking that in 5 to 7 years time, after I learn as much as Can on this topic and pracitce under my belt, I might consider teaching this as there has to be a need for classes for 'non chefs and non commerical' people who just want to learn the basics and be safe and have fun. Regarding Gill, if that is who you are refering to on 'being hard'...if you are a butcher and teaching classes like pig in a day and being held up on T.V. I do think you should be more knowledgeable and if not learn. On speaking to him, I was just disappointed that he did not seem more knowldegable. they've been doing this for at least 4 years now. I did not get a good sense of confidence from him when asking questions and receiving answers. There in lies my disappointment. These are basic not difficult questions. I did expect a level of confidence and expertise though. But again, I acknowlegde the lack of limited published information around this issue. Not trying to be a jerk just extremely frustrating all around in gaining adequate information and knowledge and doing this all your self.

Let me add though he was very kind to take my call and was very willing to speak with me and his time and effort are greatly appreciated.

Ryan Propst
Sydney, Australia
Culinary Student
www.xanga.com/ryaninoz
ryanpropst
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:16 pm

I understand the frustration. As to the temps I have given let me explain. I believe when cured with sufficient cure, a temp of 50 f is a reasonably safe temp as most bacteria will not stand the salt and nitrite. from what I've read recently this temp will inhibit the fast reproduction of bacteria. this gives a chance for the drying out of the meat thereby restricting further the growth of bacteria.

As to HFW I personally think his aims are good. But his knowledge is lacking. I have been taken to task espousing this view. But it is my own. His lack of knowledge is exposed especially in amounts of nitrates he recommends in his recipes some of which I consider dangerous.

I have a HFW recipe recommending an ingoing amount of over 2000 ppm if anybody can explain the reason for this I would be happy to change my opinion.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby ryanpropst » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:12 am

I agree in that he has made huge strides in raising the awareness of animal husbandry, that everyday, 'normal' people can do this sort of thing and I think his discussion and information in his books are mostly excellent, but I'd agree, as from all my research and studies, I was wondering about some of his proportions of curing nitrities/nitrates. I don't fully understand yet how to calculate to understand saftey but I am working to be able to do this but I have worked out per pound or kg of meat how much to use in terms of tsp/grams/ounces for the probably inadequate scales I use and have thought his measures seemed high. I am glad he is championing all that he is. His meat books is packed chock full with great information, as I'm sure you would agree, but you should always read every recipe with a critical eye and espically those of meat production and curing. I in general tend to compare 4 or 5 recipes for the same thing to see if they all jive in general for the ingredients/methods they are calling for....not full proof but it teaches you allot by comparing. But then again, I tend to go over board in terms of understanding what I am doing and research, etc.

Ryan

Ryan Propst
Sydney, Australia
Culinary Student
www.xanga.com/ryaninoz
ryanpropst
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:17 pm

With the HFW stuff I have seen him sometimes state that saltpeter is ONLY to retain the pink colour and at other times he states that a quantity should be used that is so high it make me think I've misread it.

So the conclusion I've come to is that I will use his recipe for all the ingredients EXCEPT the cure and I will work out my own ammounts of these with the help of the caculation methods posted by oddley et al on this forum.

Because of this my confidence is growing each time I produce a bacon etc and hopefully I will eventually not need to rely on recipe books at all. 8)
Platypus
Registered Member

Master Curer

Postby ryanpropst » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:29 am

Ah, grass hopper....is it possible to reach the ascendency of a Master Curer....

No recipes...now that's a worthy goal.

If like me, you've learned to write down stuff as you go along, so that when something turns out well, regardles of what your 'cooking', you can at least repeat it verbatium to make sure it wasn't a SNAFU and that a month or 6 weeks later, you remember your ingredient list. My memory is not what it once was.

Ryan

hoping to obtain the higher curing level....... ;-)

Ryan Propst
Sydney, Australia
Culinary Student
www.xanga.com/ryaninoz
ryanpropst
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:46 pm

One day I will get my black belt in charcuterie, but at the moment I am definately still "grasshopper"
Platypus
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats