Dry Cured jalepeno cheese summer sausage??

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Dry Cured jalepeno cheese summer sausage??

Postby Bombeque » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:43 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum and just started out dry-curing. I converted my freezer to a temp/humidity controlled environment. Currently I have some pepperonis fermenting in there. Ill be doing Chorizos next weekend. Im also planning to do some summer sausage. Now my question is, will adding jalepeno and cheese to the recipe mess with fermentation at all? Also, I currently have T-SPX on hand, I was wondering if I could just use this for the summer sausage? I know F-LC is reccomended for summer sausage due to its tangy nature, but I thought Id just use the same culture so I could stay at the same fermenting temps for all sausages. Let me know what yall think.

Thanks

Que
Bombeque
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:46 pm

I believe that using fresh veg like jalapeno peppers in your dry cured sausage is a bad idea and will just invite spoilage. You may want to look into using ground jalapeno or chipotle powder instead.

I can't speak as to using cheese in dry cured sausages. It might work though.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Bombeque » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:55 pm

Wunderdave wrote:I believe that using fresh veg like jalapeno peppers in your dry cured sausage is a bad idea and will just invite spoilage. You may want to look into using ground jalapeno or chipotle powder instead.

Good call. I have some chipolte powder on hand too. Id really like to use cheese if at all possible. But spoilage was what I was afraid of too.

Que
Bombeque
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:48 pm

What cheese are we talking about?

I wouldn't put cheese in it, not only because of increased risk of spoilage, but for taste reasons as well. I would serve it with the sausage instead. :wink: But it's a matter of taste of course.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Bombeque » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm

I was thinking cheddar. Looks like its a bad idea altogether, which is fine, as long as I can rule that out. Now on to my next question. I have summer sausage seasoning on hand, for the traditional cooked way. Im guessing that I can use that, or any other seasoning for the sausage? Would I need to adjust the seasoning to account for the 30 percent weight loss? Is the T-SPX ok to use for summer sausage?
Bombeque
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 pm

If you're dry-curing the summer sausage you'll likely need to add prague powder #2 to the seasoning mix. If the seasoning mix is for cooked summer sausage then it likely won't have the necessary curing salts.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Bombeque wrote:Would I need to adjust the seasoning to account for the 30 percent weight loss?

I can't answer any of your questions, but the question above is a good one. I'd guess yes, reduce the seasoning amount. but i'd wait till someone who knows dried sausage replies.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Bombeque » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:06 pm

I think I might give it a shot after all. Check out this site http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... er-sausage. I read his book on fermented sausages cover to cover. I dont think he would steer me wrong, but only one way to find out!

Que
Bombeque
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Ok, then I misunderstood you. That's not a dry-cured sausage, it's cooked (or at least sterilised) and "semi-dried". It is supposed to be dried for three days only and will probably never reach 30 percent weight loss(?).
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Bombeque » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:51 pm

True. I may bring it to 140, but I still want to dry it out a bit. Although I heard from the man himself today through email. He advised to experiment with it. He said the cheese shouldnt be a problem. Also that the peppers would start to ferment with the sausage after a few days or so. But fermented peppers to me are a good thing, aka tabasco sauce! Itll be a nice experiment anyhow!
Bombeque
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:51 pm

I prefer to "pickle" my jalapenos by fermenting them and have never suffered any side effects. Granted that is done in a jar full of water, salt and some garlic cloves but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats