Tamworth bacon cure?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Tamworth bacon cure?

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:25 pm

In his book, Secrets of a Bacon Curer, Davies says,
I had cured about five different varieties of bacon: the Tamworth, Sweet, Old Colonial, Apple Wood smoked, and some Oak smoked.

This doesn't appear to be a reference to the type of pig. Is there a Tamworth cure? Or is there something more generic like a Midland cure?

I might have a line on some local, organic G.O.S. and Tamworth, and I thought it might be interesting to do some of the Tamworth with a Tamworth cure, if such could be found. Does anyone know?
Last edited by vagreys on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Vindii » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Curious too. I am picking up a whole tamworth hog tonight. Going to be some bacon coming out of that.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm

vagreys wrote:In his book, Secrets of a Bacon Curer, Davies says,
I had cured about five different varieties of bacon: the Tamworth, Sweet, Old Colonial, Apple Wood smoked, and some Oak smoked.

This doesn't appear to be a reference to the type of pig

Tamworth pig is listed by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust

http://www.rbst.org.uk/

More info on the below

http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/breed_tw.htm

http://www.tamworthbreedersclub.co.uk/

http://www.emmaspigs.co.uk/Tamworth.shtml

Is there a Tamworth cure? Or is there something more generic like a Midland cure?

In my younger days it was common animal -- as for a cure :?: any one was used as I have said before pigs in the UK was bread for a specific purpose and the are where it was raised gives it there particular flavour

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 pm

BriCan wrote:Tamworth pig is listed by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust

Thanks for the links, Robert! Good info. I meant to say that, in the context of the quote, Davies seemed to be referring to a kind of cure, like the Sweet Cure, Old Colonial Cure, Apple Wood smoked, and Oak smoked, so a Tamworth cure, rather than the Tamworth breed.
In my younger days it was common animal -- as for a cure :?: any one was used as I have said before pigs in the UK was bread for a specific purpose and the are where it was raised gives it there particular flavour

HTH

So, you're suggesting that the Tamworth bacon would be recognizable as Tamworth from the flavor of the meat, alone, with a general cure?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Ruralidle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:47 pm

I knew Maynard (and bought his produce) for the last few years of his working life and the great man gave me (and an Environmental Health Officer of mine) a tour of his production facility and smokehouse but I do not recall him offering a bacon made with a Tamworth cure.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:40 am

There are many local cures but I've never seen a Tamworth one, even though Tamworth is about 25 miles down the road.

I fancy that it refers to his (Maynard's) preferred way of curing bacon from a Tamworth Pig.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 am

wheels wrote:...I fancy that it refers to his (Maynard's) preferred way of curing bacon from a Tamworth Pig.

Thanks, Phil. That's in line with what Robert said. I'll go with that.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:44 am

Ruralidle wrote:I knew Maynard (and bought his produce) for the last few years of his working life and the great man gave me (and an Environmental Health Officer of mine) a tour of his production facility and smokehouse but I do not recall him offering a bacon made with a Tamworth cure.

How fortunate you were. I'd have loved the opportunity to work my way through the many styles of bacon and hams he talks about.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Ruralidle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:00 pm

On first meeting, Maynard seemed a bit grumpy but once he got to know you and realised that you appreciated his produce (and his skill) he was very friendly. His Staffordshire Black and Applewood smoked bacon were delicious. He sold his business and retired to the life of an author, writing his book on curing but also two about his life. His first book, covering his earlier years in his trade/profession - Adventures of a Bacon Curer - is excellent and gives a great insight into the man. He certainly appeared to be an exact representation of the values he proclaims - straightforward and honest with the view that what goes around comes around. He certainly wasn't a man to cross!

The new owners of Maynard's bacon make some good produce but I think the recipes have changed a little since Maynard make the bacon personally. That was what prompted me to start doing my own curing, once I got his recipe book as a present.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:48 am

Ruralidle wrote:...His first book, covering his earlier years in his trade/profession - Adventures of a Bacon Curer - is excellent and gives a great insight into the man...

My daughter has given me all three of his books over the past two years, most recently Secrets of a Bacon Curer. I've enjoyed his straightforward, no nonsense style, and learned from each volume.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Ruralidle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Well, the style of his writing is the personality of the man. I consider it a privilege to have met him and even more of a privilege to have eaten his produce.

As I said, it was because of him that I got into curing. I just haven't seen him recently to thank him, although we were at the Ludlow Food Festival http://www.foodfestival.co.uk/ at the same time a year or two ago but - amongst what seemed like 5000 people there I didn't bump into him.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Ruralidle wrote:Well, the style of his writing is the personality of the man. I consider it a privilege to have met him and even more of a privilege to have eaten his produce.

I totally agree with you on this, for anyone so inclined to have sat and talked with him the knowledge he would pass on was priceless

As I said, it was because of him that I got into curing. I just haven't seen him recently to thank him, although we were at the Ludlow Food Festival http://www.foodfestival.co.uk/ at the same time a year or two ago but - amongst what seemed like 5000 people there I didn't bump into him.

In the small :?: confined walls of the castle you could miss good friends as (I found) there is too much fine stuff to see and beer to sample :roll: I like you look for him each time I go

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am

The most amazing thing was the my EHO friend who was with me when I toured Maynard's production facility (now Head of Education at the UK EHO Institute) was very impressed with the state of the place. Even the well-used smoke house with its tar covered walls didn't raise any concerns :) !
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:29 pm

It sounds like your mate is "One of the good 'uns"!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Too true Phil. He and his partner are both qualified EHO's and we had an illuminating discussion last time they visited about the "jobsworth" attitude of some of their colleagues. They were both refreshingly practical about things.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats