noix de jambon recipe?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

noix de jambon recipe?

Postby larry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:06 pm

I searched here for a recipe and have already seen the videos on youtube, but I'd really like to get the curing/timing info to try this. The appeal to me is the short curing/hanging time and what looks like a good substitute for longer curing joints. From the videos (in french) I gleaned that the small hams are salted for two days, and at some point rubbed in pepper or spices or both, and tied up, and hung, but that's where the trail gets cold.

Is anyone familiar with these little nuggets? By the way, all of the websites I found searching for noix de jambon were in french, and the bing translations were hilarious.
larry
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Here you go.....

From Mrs. Wheelbarrows blog.....

She renamed them....Jambons de Camont.

Jambons de Camont

Recipe courtesy Dominique Chapolard and Kate Hill

Makes anywhere from six to twelve jambons, depending on the size of the ham. The scrap and trim makes a wonderful fresh sausage. Or grind for cured saucisse or saucisson seche. Trim the skin into long rectangles, scraping away the fat. Roll up and truss – a wonderful addition to beans or soup. The bone will add flavor and body to your soup pot or, once roasted, a big pot of Italian ‘gravy.’
1 fresh ham
Plenty of Coarse Sea Salt
Plenty of Coarse Ground Black Pepper
Twine
Compression netting, nice, but not critical

Skin the ham and debone.

Carve as many jambons from a whole fresh ham as possible. Yield will range from 6 to 12, depending on the size of the ham. Trim carefully. The more uniform, the more evenly they will cure.

Rub coarse sea salt into the meat on all sides and into any knife cuts.

Refrigerate the jambons, uncovered, on a rack sitting over a sheet pan, for 48 hours.

Knock off any remaining salt crystals (most will have been absorbed) and then roll the jambons in a lot – REALLY A LOT – of cracked black pepper, covering every inch.

Half-hitch each jambon into a tight form, then snuggle it inside some elastic netting. (Your butcher might be willing to sell you a couple of feet.)

Smoke the jambons for 10-12 hours at the lowest, coolest smoke you have. I ran the Bradley smoker, with hickory chips, at 110°.

Hang for about three weeks, or until the jambons have lost 30% of their weight.

Slice thin – love using a slicer for this – and serve.

http://www.mrswheelbarrow.com/2011/10/n ... ge-curing/

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby larry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:25 pm

merci, homme de saucisson.
larry
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats