curing ham + recepies best left to mature for a year

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

curing ham + recepies best left to mature for a year

Postby aeddon » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:52 pm

hi all

me and my girlfriend are heading off for a year out of the uk. we have kind of deffinately made the descion. the first thing that sprung to mind wasnt what life in another country would be like but what could i make that needs to be matured for a year as a normaly cant wait that long :lol:

When you make parma/curied ham, can you leave it to mature for a year, say in ash or salt, without the need to check as i'll be a bit far away!

If any of you have any other recepies or products i can make then please leave them here or on the River Cottage Forum, so far i have sloe gin, currant and honey vodka, wine (but a good recepie is always needed), xmass cake

http://forum.rivercottage.net/viewtopic.php?t=11575

cheers, you help will be much appreciated

aeddon
aeddon
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:27 am

I have just cut into a birthday cake which my mum made over three years ago. It is an extremely rich fruit cake which, no doubt is helped in its preservation by copious amount of alcohol, in soaking the fruit, in the mixture and poured over the cake periodically before being wrapped up again. It's an old recipe, certainly been in the family over 90 years. If anyone is interested, I'll post it.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:04 pm

More than likely it is the copious amounts of sugar - not the alcohol (long evaporated) which aided in the preservation :-)

Please post the recipe - always interested in a good recipe!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Hobbitfeet » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Well, here it is - it's a complicated procedure! Probably from the days when one had servants :wink: Sorry it's not metric, this cake comes from the avoirdupois days!

At LEAST six weeks prior to baking, which is usually in October (the baking, not the "pickling" of the fruit!) to give the cake time to mature, combine 1lb each of:

chopped raisins,sultanas, currants in a large jar (The old fashioned sweet jars are good) cover with red wine and either brandy or rum.

On the day:

Grease a 10 inch tin with butter, line with a buttered double layer of greaseproof paper, which should stand well above the tin. Line the outside of the tin (secured with string) with a double layer of brown paper, as high as the greaseproof paper inside. (This may be done after filling the tin)

Sieve together 12 oz self raising flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 dessertspoon mixed spice, 1 dessertspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves and 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg.

Beat 8-10 oz soft brown sugar (depends on your taste) in a large bowl with 12 oz unsalted butter till pale, fluffy and creamy (Grandma still insists it be done by hand!). Add the grated rind of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (not essence, please), 2 teaspoond almond essence.

Fold in 8 eggs, one at a time, with a spoon of the flour mixture. Add rest of flour mixture and fold in.

Drain fruit from wine and add to mixture with 1 oz chopped crystalised angelica, 8 oz chopped crystalised citrus peel, 8 oz chopped glace cherries, 4 oz chopped skinned almonds, 4 oz ground almonds.

If the mixture is too dry add the wine from the jar, or a little brandy or a little milk. Spoon into the tin, smooth over so there is quite a large dip in the middle.

Bake on the shelf below the centre one at 300 deg F (150 deg C) for an hour and a half. Then cover the tin with a double layer of brown paper and continue baking at250 deg F (130 deg C) for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. A bowl of water on the floor of the oven can be used to keep it moist.

Watch carefully towards the end it must not dry out. It's done when the skewer comes out clean.

Leave in the tin overnight to cool. Wrap in in several layers of greaseproof paper, then in foil and then in an old Chocolate tin which is sealed with sticky tape.

Six weeks before Christmas (or birthday, or wedding) unwrap the cake, prick all over and pour 4 tablespoons brandy and rewrap and reseal as above.

The cake I described above was eaten three years after making but was moistened with brandy or rum every 3 or 4 months or so as above; it is this I feel, which helps to keep it moist, not the sugar which is quite reasonable in a cake like this.

Sorry for the long message, and the long procedure, but try this cake once and you will want none other!

ENJOY!! :D
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats