Homemade tomato-paste based ketchup

Homemade tomato-paste based ketchup

Postby soibcp » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 am

I've always found the best way to make ketchup which has a similar consistency to Heinz Ketchup is to use tomato paste. I wanted to share my below recipe which I've tweaked many times and have found gives me the best results.

For the tomato paste which will yield 180gm:

- 3KG fresh ripe market tomatoes, chopped in quarters (can be blemished/not right size)
    - 4 cloves garlic
    - 3 bay leaves
    - 1/4 cup olive oil

Place the chopped tomatoes in a large stock pot with the rest of the ingredients and cook for 25 minutes (or until soft). Transfer the softened tomatoes to a fine food mill and mill the tomatoes until all that is left is the seeds and skin (can be discarded or used in a bisque). Oil a baking pan with some olive oil and place the puree in the pan. Place the pan in a pre-heated 150C oven and cook for 5-6 hours. You will need to spread the tomatoes around with a spatula every 30 minutes to avoid sticking/burning. During the cooking time, the water will evaporate and the tomatoes will cook slowly. After the cooking time is complete, cool down the paste and place in a food processor. Process the paste until a smooth consistency is achieved. Below is a picture of the cooked paste:

For the actual ketchup:

- 180gm tomato paste
    - 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
    - 1/2 cup white vinegar
    - 1/4 cup water
    - 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    - 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine the above ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth. Continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes. Add more vinegar, honey/syrup and other spices to achieved desired flavor. Allow the sauce to cool and process in a food processor until completely smooth. Alternatively, grated apple or caramelized onion can be added to achieve a different taste. For BBQ sauce, molasses and more sugar/honey/syrup can be added. Below is a picture of the finished product:

Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions. Enjoy with your favorite homemade sausage!
Life without sausages is like no life at all
soibcp
Registered Member

Re: Homemade tomato-paste based ketchup

Postby rob01 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks for this. I was looking for a recipe that gave a sweet tomato sauce like the big supermarket brands without just pouring sugar in a bowl and making it Red :)
rob01
Newly Registered

Re: Homemade tomato-paste based ketchup

Postby dps51 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm

i use this one i fund on the web it is nice

i found this on the web but mind the cayenne pepper as i added a bit to much
yield 1.5 litres (approx)

3 kg ripe tomatoes
2 tbls salt
600 ml white vinegar
1 1/8 cups (250 g) 9 oz white sugar
1/2 tsp each of ground cloves, cinnamon, allspice, and Cayenne pepper

method

1. Quarter the tomatoes, place them in a preserving pan with the salt and vinegar, and simmer until they are soft and quite broken up.

2. Rub the mixture through coarse muslin or a fine nylon sieve; then return it to the pan and add the sugar.

3. Simmer until the ketchup starts to thicken, and then add the spices to taste, a little at a time, stirring thoroughly.

4. Meanwhile, heat enough bottles to hold the ketchup, and prepare seal, a boiled cork to fit the bottle and either waxed or covered with greaseproof paper tied securely over.

5. When the ketchup is thick enough, fill the hot bottles, leaving a head-space.

6. Seal immediately, or allow the ketchup to cool slightly; then fill up the bottles, leaving a head space, and sterilize at 88°C for 30 minutes.

7. Seal immediately. Label when cold.

Note Remember that the ketchup will be thicker when cold, so do not reduce it too much.
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up
dps51
Registered Member

Return to sauces and side dishes