Copycat Sauces

Re: Copycat Sauces

Postby Fatmat » Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm

wheels wrote:Mine's very similar. To be honest, I usually buy it, 'cos mustard powder/seeds are so expensive.

Phil

I get my spices from my friendly neighbourhood Asian food store. I just liked the idea of making my own too.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Davred wrote:This is very like HP brown sauce.

4 lbs apples, chopped
1 lb prunes, pitted and chopped
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
3 pints malt vinegar
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
4 oz table salt
2 lbs sugar

Put apples, plums, and onions into large pot and cover with water. Cook until tender. Put through apple saucer or sieve into large pot.
Add malt vinegar, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cayenne pepper, table salt, and sugar. Cook on low heat until reduced and thick.
Bottle in sterilized jars or keep in fridge indefinitely.

No tamarind?
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed May 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Fatmat wrote:
wheels wrote:Mine's very similar. To be honest, I usually buy it, 'cos mustard powder/seeds are so expensive.

Phil

I get my spices from my friendly neighbourhood Asian food store. I just liked the idea of making my own too.

I'm just the same: I made it because I wanted too. I've never though of cooking as my hobby, when people ask, I tell them that my interest is food production; I just love making the things that others buy!

It sound like you're the same?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fatmat » Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I like making stuff 'better than shop'! I like trying to make stuff as good as it should be, not as cheap as the corporations try to get away with selling us.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 pm

A man after my own heart. :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Fri May 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Don't know if you have a 'Home Bargains' store near you, but over the last few weeks they have been selling 3 oz (85g) tin of S&B oriental hot mustard powder for 29p. Short dated on 7/8/2013. Nothing oriental about it other than being produced in Japan. It appears to be similar to English mustard powder and at this price well worth stocking up ! HTH. Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri May 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Many thanks for the 'heads up'.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Cheers Wheels, I do like a bargain - don't see the point of paying full prices when discounts can be had ! Another good shop if you have them in your area is B&M, just ignore all the cheap tat they sell and stick to the food and drink isles. Called in there today and picked up tinned Cirio peeled tomatoes (793g weight) for 59p, Bishops Farewell Oakham ale 500ml for £1.19 and Krombacher Dark beer 500ml brewed in Germany for 99p. Also picked up 4 x 500ml Barnstormer dry cider for £1.69. They were also selling different dried herbs - 200g for £1.99. A couple of years back they had Swartz dried herbs catering size for just 99p and a catering 425g of ground white pepper for £1.99 - all come in handy for the sausage experiments !
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat May 18, 2013 6:32 pm

I'll get Mrs Wheels on the case!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to sauces and side dishes