British Table Sauces

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Oregano wrote:...I believe I need the mustard as emulsifier. There is mustard listed in the ingredients anyway. Every spice (about 10 of them) is listed individually, which is most useful!

Would you mind listing the entire ingredient list, including the individual spices, so that it is most useful to the rest of us, too? :wink:
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:44 pm

grisell wrote:I read in the Wikipedia article that it's based on tomatoes. That might have changed during the last 100 years. I don't know. Now I'm getting uncertain. :? But actually, the recipe above tastes genuine IMO and I think it's delicious. Strange.

I suspect the tamarind overwhelms either apples or tomatoes, and in the end, does it matter? It tastes like you want it to, and you think it is delicious. That's enough for me!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:54 pm

grisell wrote:Thanks, kimgary. Now, I may be completely wrong, but my guess is that apples were used in HP Sauce instead of tomatoes initially, because of the (probable) rarity of tomatoes in GB 100 years ago. The ingredient list has obviously been modidied since then. I doubt you'd find glucose-fructose syrup, modified cornflour and flavourings in the original recipe. The strange thing is that the home-made with apples tastes very similar to the tomato-based sauce.

Perhaps it was made with apples because it was made with apples?

Tomatoes have been cultivated in England since the mid-to-late-16th century, and were curiosities in upper class gardens from shortly after they were introduced from the New World into the species gardens of Spain and Italy. Were tomatoes rare in England 100 years ago?

If there is truly nothing wrong with high-fructose corn syrup (glucose-fructose syrup), why does the food industry work so hard to hide it?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Oregano » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:25 pm

vagreys wrote:...Would you mind listing the entire ingredient list, including the individual spices, so that it is most useful to the rest of us, too? :wink:

I'm working on it - there's a lot of maths to sort out. Also, unless I can find something to use as a stabiliser, it'll be no use because it will too easily separate and/or the proteins in the cream and milk will break down.
Oregano
Registered Member

Re: Curry sauce

Postby grisell » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 am

Oregano wrote:[---]
How did you learn how to make these sauces?

The recipes are from the book Henley's 20th Century Home & Workshop Formulas, Recipes and Processes, New York, 1913.

Oregano wrote:I'm looking to try to make a curry table sauce, which is no longer produced. It contains water, oil, a small amount of tomato puree, cream and cornflour, and spices and fruit juice.
I'm assuming I want mustard in the spice mix to work as an emulsifier. The end result was yellow.

Do you have any advice for how to put it all together?

There is no such recipe in my book. There are recipes for something called Epicure's Sauce and Piccalilli Sauce though, if someone is interested.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:44 am

In the book, there is also a recipe for a cough mixture that contains heroin, sulphuric acid, rose extract, glycerine and squill extract if someone is interested... :?

( :lol: )
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Re: Curry sauce

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:07 pm

grisell wrote:There is no such recipe in my book. There are recipes for something called Epicure's Sauce and Piccalilli Sauce though, if someone is interested.

See http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=665

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to sauces and side dishes