THE BEST PIZZA BASE EVER.......

All about bread

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi Shane

Got my Pizza stone in TKMAX, but any good kitchen shop should have one.
They do produce a nicer pizza base, but you must be careful not to wash it with detergent as it can taint the next crust you cook.

Cheers

jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:06 pm

I just use an old, unglazed terracotta tile.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:02 pm

I've got some polished granite floor tiles 40cm by 40 cm do you think they'd work? I would be upset if they cracked in the heat.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:07 pm

Couldn't say: the tile I use has been fired at kiln temperatures even before I got it. Your granite might have fissures in it already (unlikely, but....) and it might take out your oven as well :D
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:56 pm

I've got a kiln, I could make them. Why didn't I think of that earlier?!

I don't think marble in the oven is a good idea though, and the fissures could trap food particles. I had a pierride(sp) with a marble slab and it trapped juices etc in the small fissures and was the devil to clean.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:01 pm

I made my baking stones out of unglazed floor tiles backed by chicken wire and fire cement that they stick the kiln bricks together with and thats about two inches thick.........

A few years old now and black but I still used them just chuck on some fresh corn meal each time .....don't bother to scrape it off. No one had dies yet through eating anything baked on them..............

Methinks you can be too hygeine concious at times.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:14 pm

I did a hygiene course some years ago, never been the same since!

Do you bake your lovely bread on the baking stones Rik or just pizza. I never thought of baking bread on a stone, next time I do rolls I'll do that.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 pm

jenny_haddow wrote:I've got a kiln, I could make them. Why didn't I think of that earlier?!

I don't think marble in the oven is a good idea though, and the fissures could trap food particles. I had a pierride(sp) with a marble slab and it trapped juices etc in the small fissures and was the devil to clean.

Jen, Marble no, I'd agree, but these are granite and I'm sure I've seen Swiss raclette or some such cookers with a granite cooking surface. Good point Wohooki, I might bung one in the oven wrapped in something indestructable to see what happens.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Josh » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:46 am

I never clean my pizza stone. At most it gets run under the cold tap and a scrape with a finger nail if there's a bit of cheese stuck on. The 250 deg oven should sterilise it enough really.

I made an interesting pizza last night. Same dough recipe I posted on the previous page spread with tomato sauce and a few anchovies then baked for 5 minutes. I then chucked a pack of mix seafood (prawns, squid, mussels) on top and gave it another 5. First time I've made a cheeseless pizza but it was still very tasty. My girlfriend loved it due to the lack of calories too.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:53 am

It was a raclette I had so it must have been a granite slab (geology not a strong point!). I used it for steak and other meat, and while it cooked it a treat, I found it got very dirty as all the juices found there way into the granite and I couldn't clean it properly. If I'd used it for bread products I wouldn'y have worried (I never wash my bread tins) but meat is a different set of rules, it grows nasties. So, yes, I think it would be fine for a pizza, just very heavy to tote in and out of the oven!

Cheers

Jen

Check it for fissures, if it has any it may crack in the oven
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:13 am

It was �5.99 (or thereabouts) from Wickes so I think I'll give it a go. I used them to make my kitchen work surfaces and seem pretty indestructable in that respect.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:21 pm

225 degrees C for 2 hrs and it looks fine so pizza here we go!
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:02 pm

Good for naan bread too
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:42 pm

I have an exclusive sale of premium polished pizza stones at the bargain price of:

�29.99 plus p&p �9.99.

For an additional �6.99 you can have the deluxe handcrafted version whereby my 4 year old has drawn a set of handles on.

For an additional �9.99 over the standard version you can have the Platinum version which is polished on one face and carefully hand rough hewn on the other to give an authentic rustic finish to your pizza base.

Order the Platinum deluxe which combines the benefits of the Platinum and deluxe for a double discount bargain price of �59.99 inclusive of postage.

Due to quality control issues some lucky buyers may be upgraded to the Platinum version even if you order the standard version.

Please do not compare these quality pizza stones to cheaper offerings on the internet.

I personally guarantee that at least one has been oven tested.

And do not go into Wickes and look at the granite floor tiles in case you realise that for �5.99 you can buy the same thing.

:D

Dave

in a silly mood for some reason...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:41 am

saucisson wrote:225 degrees C for 2 hrs and it looks fine so pizza here we go!

A bargain at �5.99.

I think my firs one was �15 and it broke first go so they gave me a new one which I also managed to crack.

I then bought another one for �7.50 in a sale and it's lasted me for ages.
Josh
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bread Making