Bread

All about bread

Postby aris » Mon May 29, 2006 6:56 pm

Get yourself a decent sourdough here:

http://www.poilane.fr

30 Euros including delivery (for a 1.9kg loaf), though there is a Poliane in Belgravia in London now.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Patricia Thornton » Mon May 29, 2006 7:23 pm

Might I suggest that anyone who is willing to pay more than 20 pounds for a loaf of bread, regardless of the fact it may last a week, has more money than sense.

Am I really that out of touch, or is this not a case of people being fooled by the Kings' new clothes?
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue May 30, 2006 3:49 am

Yea right....

you need to live in Belgravia to be able to afford a Poilane loaf. I often wonder how the butter is kept on when it's toasted....I would end up with an elbow well greased with butter.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue May 30, 2006 11:10 am

Patricia,

I regularly pay between �10 and �20 for a loaf of bread.

Generaly it involves me driving alon and saying to the missus heres a tenner, can you pop into the shop and buy some bread. she does as requested and returns with a loaf of bread. I never see any change.... :wink:

rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue May 30, 2006 5:31 pm

That 20 quid is mostly postage from France. I think if you buy in London is is around 10 quid.

Sure, you can make it yourself, but how many people can make a loaf like that at home? How many people have a wood burning oven at home? If you were to make something of equal quality using the same methods, could you sell it for a tenner and make it worth your while to do it for a living?

While 10 or 20 quid is alot for something as common as bread, I don't begrudge anyone who has spent a lifetime mastering their art and charging anyone willing to pay to to take pleasure in consuming that art any more than I begrudge paying for the priveledge of watching a musician or stage artist, or even paying a master craftsman to do work on my house.

Well, that's my 2p anyohw :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue May 30, 2006 6:43 pm

I wonder how much it is in France, I'm going over in a couple of weeks for a few days I'll check it out. The other half has a birthday ending in zero and he wants to go to France for a week and just eat, I expect there will be the odd bottle or two consumed as well! If this bread is as nice as it sounds it might be worth searching it out, should go well with a nice bit of fromage.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue May 30, 2006 7:05 pm

From what I understand, you can buy it by weight in the shop, but i'm sure you will want a whole loaf to bring back with you :-)

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/wfi/ ... 205068.asp
aris
Site Admin

Return to Bread Making