new(ish) bread recipe

All about bread

new(ish) bread recipe

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:04 pm

Would anyone like to try this one out, I can't post pictures because my my family ate it all before I could find the camera.

500ml water
1tspoon dried yeast
pinch of sugar.

Leave 10 minutes to rehydrate.

Add 500g strong dry white bread flour and knead the sloppy mix for 15 minutes with a dough hook in a Kenwood or similar.

Edit: Oh and salt 1 1/2 tsp or to taste

Leave to bubble for 2 hrs and pour into a preheated iron pot at 240 degrees C Edit: "for 30 minutes" covered and 8 minutes uncovered.

Getting there I reckon :D

Dave
Last edited by saucisson on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi Dave I'm working along the same sort of lines you are. Thought you might find the following recipe of some interest.

Pagnotta

Round Country Bread

Makes two loaves

3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
3.5 cups unbleached bread flour
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 3/8 cups cool water
3/8 cup Biga
Additional flour for work surface
Olive oil for bowl
Medium-grind yellow cornmeal or baker’s peel

In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Set it aside until it is creamy, about 15 minutes.

Measure the flour into a large bowl. Using a sturdy wooden spoon, stir the salt into the flour. Form a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the yeast mixture, the cool water, and the biga to the well. Using the spoon, stir together all the ingredients until the dough is too resistant to be stirred. They will come together fairly easily.

Now begin kneading the dough in the bowl, keep one hand clean in order to hold and turn the bowl and using the other hand to work the dough. Vigorously fold the dough from the sides of the bowl toward the center, rotating the bowl as you work. Pick up the dough and slap it back into the bowl several times and keep kneading vigorously. The dough will be slightly sticky, but continue working it until it comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. This should take about 5 minutes.

At this point turn the dough onto a lightly
floured work surface. Clean off any dough stuck to your hands and knead the dough until it is stretchy, smooth and fairly soft. This will take 15 to 20 minutes of kneading, including some 1 to 2 minute rest periods along the way for the dough to relax slightly—and for you to relax, too. Shape the dough into a ball.

Rub a large bowl with olive oil and place the dough in the bowl. Turn the ball so that the surface is coated with oil. Cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch the dough down by folding the edges into the center and turning it over so the top is once again smooth. Re-cover the bowl and let the dough rise a second time until doubled, about 1 hour.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time and trying not to overhandle the dough, fold the edges in toward the center. Work in a circular motion, folding the entire rim of the dough toward the center several times to form a round ball with a smooth side.

Spread a fairly thick layer of flour on a work surface. Place the ball of dough, rough side down, on the flour. Shape the remaining portion into a second loaf and place it on the surface in the same manner. Cover the loaves with a towel and let rise at room temperature for 40 to 55 minutes. Meanwhile, place a baking stone (or a pan or sheet) in an oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.

About 40 minutes after the loaves have been rising, test one by lightly pushing your index finger into it and then removing your finger. If the dough springs back gently, it is ready to bake. If the indentation does not move, your dough has risen too much and will not “jump” (rise) in the oven. If the latter is the case, reform the loaves in the same manner and let rise again for 40 to 55 minutes.

Dust a baker’s peel with cornmeal. Gently slip your hand under each loaf and turn it over onto the peel, so the rough side now faces up. Mist the preheated oven with a spray bottle. With a rhythmic snap of the wrist, slide the loaves onto the baking stone. Mist the oven again and bake the bread for 5 minutes. Mist one more time, reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees F, and bake until the loaves have a hollow ring when tapped on the bottom, 40 to 50 minutes. When the loaves are done, their tops should have an attractive pattern of white flour, their side should be deep golden brown, and their bottoms should be quite dark. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Experiment by kneading different ingredients into your dough, ie. nuts, sundried tomatoes, etc.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks Oddley, I had to look up what Biga was though :oops:

http://waltonfeed.com/grain/y-rec/biga.html

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Patricia Thornton » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:34 am

Dave: For how long does one bake the bread (covered) please?

Oh, by the way, what was the family's verdict?
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 am

Sorry Patty, that was 30 minutes covered, I'll go back and edit it in. The family guzzled it down, thought it was "real" bread. I shan't stop tweaking though!

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Michelle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:01 pm

Dave please let us know what Biga is,myself and I am sure many others never heard that word before. :oops:
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:17 pm

I posted a link in my reply to Oddley, here it is again:

http://waltonfeed.com/grain/y-rec/biga.html

It's an italian sourdough-like starter, but milder in taste

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:52 pm

Here's an interesting starter, it retains the custom of passing it on to friends and family as was the custom in the past. I believe a new bride was given a bread starter when she set up her first home.

Amish Bread Starter
2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. milk
2/3 c. flour
2/3 c. oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 to 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Combine ingredients in large airtight container with lid. Store at room temperature, do not refrigerate. Stir every day for 17 days. The recipe makes more than the 1 cup needed. But allows for evaporation. Now the starter is ready. For the next 10 days handle starter according to the following instructions.

Day 1, receive the starter

Day 2, 3 & 4 - stir

Day 5, Add 1 cup each flour, sugar and milk.

Day 6 & 7, stir

Day 8 & 9, stir

Day 10, Add 1 cup flour, sugar and milk. Divide into 3 containers of 1 cup each for friends. After removing the 3 cups of batter, mix in the following ingredients: Using a fork, beat by hand until well blended. Add 1 cup raisins and 1 cup nuts (optional). Grease pans with butter, sprinkle with sugar instead of flour. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Bread Making