Bread Making

All about bread

Postby lemonD » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm

George,
Where do morrisons keep their yeast? I had a look last week in the butters/fats section no joy.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:23 am

Hi
I got it in the bomb damaged area (for 29p) so don't know where they normally keep it.

Could not bake my focassia 'cos I had to rush out (domestic crisis), left it in a flat dish with cling film on top. When I got back it was twice it's normal size. Anyway my wife put it in the pizza maker and it turned out like cheabata (must learn to spell those Italian words)

OK but not one of the best.

How long will the yeast keep in the fridge? And in the freezer?

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:55 am

I believe it's 14 days in the fridge or 3 months (some sources say 6) in the freezer. Some sources also say freezing is not recommended.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Oddley,
What is the size of the tin you used for this?
ImageImage
Did you use this recipe and method?
Oddley wrote:CRUSTY BREAD

500 g - 100% Flour
Of flour
9 g - 1.75 % Salt
5 g - 1% Improver
5 g - 1% Fat (optimal)
15 g - 3 %Yeast (Fresh)
285 g - 57 % Water + or - Dough temp approx 29� C

BROWN/ WHOLEMEAL TYPE BREAD

500 g - 100 % Flour
Of flour
9 g - 1.75 % Salt
10 g - 2 % Improver
5 g - 1 % Fat
17 g - 3.5 % Yeast (fresh)
300 g - 60 % Water + or - Dough temp approx 29� C

METHOD
1. Add all dry ingredients first, then the water, lastly the yeast
2. Mix in the Kenwood for 5 minutes.
3. Rest for 5 minutes.
4. Mix for another 5 minutes.
5. Mould and shape into a ball and rest for 5 minutes.
6. Scale to your usual sizes and mould to shape required and place in tins or on trays.
7. Place in a warm place and allow to double in size. About 35 minutes (Tip put uncovered in an oven with a tray of boiling water beneath it.) This will give the bread the correct temperature to rise and stop your bread �skinning� up.
8. Ensure your oven is at the required temperature eg: gas mark 9 for the first 5 minutes then gas mark 7 for 10 minutes then gas mark 6 for 10 minutes then gas mark 5 for about 10 minutes. (Squirt water in the oven every 1 minute for five minutes this helps with oven spring and gives a better crust)

*Note: dough temperature is particularly important, to work out the required water temperature use the
following formula: Double required dough temperature, minus the flour temp = the required water temp.

e.g.(Flour = 23c in this example) Dough temp 29 x 2 = 58 minus flour 23 = required water temp of 35c

It is very important that you get the tempreture of the dough right, by using the formula provided, follow the rest of the method as close as you can, for the best results.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:12 am

Hi lemonD

I used a 2 lb bread tin. Yes I did use the recipe for crusty bread, with one small change, at number five, I rested the dough for 10 min's. I found that this amount of time gave the correct softness to the dough.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Johnfb, LD - Thanks for your comments.

LD - the 55% hydration recipe that Emma posted was a manufacturing formula - presumably for the Chorleywood (CBP) process rather than one for making at home. I image the crumb would be dense even with the use of improver. I'm sorry that my 'everyday bread' recipe didn't perform as well as you would have liked in the rising/proving, it works well for me. Have you tried it using a tin? Oh, by the way, I keep saying it is 65% - it's actually 66.6.

Images and hydrations of 'artisan breads' can be viewed here. The ciabatta is 85% - that must take some handling - if I made it I'd end up covered in dough! :lol:

An excellent example of a recipe for, and pictures of, a 65% hydration loaf by Dan Lepard is on his forum.

John - I'm glad the rolls were a success I haven't done them as a crusty roll, just soft ones. I must try it - do they still keep well? I guess the extra yeast makes the job quicker but the recipe as is, using 1.1% dried yeast is fine. :wink:

Jenny - you asked about the amount of flour used when handling higher % hydration loaves. This is a 450g flour mix at 70% (for the soft rolls recipe) mixed for 10 minutes in the mixer and before rising. I just 'pat and prod' it around a bit, rather than knead it at this stage. The amount of flour on the work surface is 2.5g:

Image Image
Image Image

I've made a 'sourdough starter' again today and will post the results in another thread in a couple of weeks - wish me luck - I think I'll need it. :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby lemonD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Oddley wrote:Hi lemonD

I used a 2 lb bread tin. Yes I did use the recipe for crusty bread, with one small change, at number five, I rested the dough for 10 min's. I found that this amount of time gave the correct softness to the dough.

Thanks Oddley,
I have a tin now, it's a 2lb tin I think, to me it looks smaller, maybe it's like the wagon wheels syndrome, "the older I get the better it/I was" :D
Will give it a try tomorrow.
Found an interesting link whilst looking for a friend whose missing a manual for her breadmaker http://www.freebake.co.uk/ which has little to do with breadmakers BTW

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:45 am

Hi
Home Bargains had some silicone bred tins last time I was in

Anyone tried one of these?

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Gordon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:55 am

I use one, they're brilliant
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:34 am

John - I'm glad the rolls were a success I haven't done them as a crusty roll, just soft ones. I must try it - do they still keep well? I guess the extra yeast makes the job quicker but the recipe as is, using 1.1% dried yeast is fine.

The crust kinda dies off..if that is a correct term. At first it is cripsy but I freeze some of mine and after the freezing process the rolls return to a soft crust...I don't care though they are still lovely.
The reason for the extra yeast is that I usually use 1 pack per 450 gr of flour so I just upped it. Makes them rise lovely. Just my preferance though.

This recipe is all I make now
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby clivmar » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:07 pm

I use 7g of Doves quick yeast to 600g of Asda's strong bread flour (12.1 protein) and works out just right for my own recipe.

I have cut the yeast down to 5g to 500g of flour when I use Soft Style Bread Improver from Kitchen Foods, as the bread was overflowing my bread machine with 600g flour.

Doves quick yeast lasts for 3 to 4 months in a fridge. I pay £1.10 for a 125g packet.
clivmar
clivmar
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi guys, When I first started making bread in the 1970's, it was a protest to the bread strike, when they were charging 50p a loaf.

Since then, I have tried to perfect the white loaf. Until recently, I had made very good bread, but not master baker bread. Due to trying Improvers plus fresh yeast, I have now progressed to the state where I think I cannot improve on the white bread I make for a British style loaf.

If anybody is having trouble with the recipe I posted then I'm sorry, because baking bread sometimes is just a matter of experience.

ImageImage

I baked these two loaves using two 2 lb bread tins, and 560g of flour to each loaf, giving two 850 g loafs.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:02 pm

lemonD wrote:George,
Where do morrisons keep their yeast? I had a look last week in the butters/fats section no joy.

LD

Just came across this elsewhere:

Morrisons now have pre-packed fresh yeast for sale in the chilled section, next to the ready-made pastry.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:25 pm

Oddley,
How much oven spring did you get? My latest attempts I'm getting a proof to approx 60mm above the tin but only another 10-15mm oven spring making the loaf about twice the height of the loaf tin. Slashing doesn't make any difference.
The loaf is good but slightly too wet I reckon if I get a better oven spring the loaf would be very good.
The only departure from your recipe is using Doves quick yeast, I'm going to have another try increasing the yeast a little.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Dave,
There are two Morrisons local to me and both do not stock fresh yeast.
However we are getting a Sainsburys next month. So all is not lost in the quest.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bread Making