Soggy top loaf with new Pansonic breadmaker

All about bread

Postby poppikin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:40 am

Sorry Phil and Mike. I did not get the warning email for these replies so missed them.

I am still using the Panasonic basic recipe that came with the machine and I’m finding the bread too firm when I prefer lighter fluffier bread. I make the small (M size) loaf with the dark crust.

Size M Dark crust.

White loaf Basic Bake (4 hours)

Yeast ¾ teaspoon
Strong white bread flour 400g
Sugar 1 tsp
Butter 15g
Salt 1 tsp
Water 270ml

I am weighing everything accurately and following previous advice am also weighing the water.

Be grateful for any help.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby bidrick » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:47 pm

poppikin,
Just came across this thread, I know it is going against the homemade thing abit, but have you tried the Hovis breadmixes? Asda are doing them 2 for a Quid, and you just add water and butter. These make a large loaf (basic setting) and would help confirm if the machine has a problem by cutting down the variables. Don't try on french setting, (I did) as it rises and sticks to lid and is a right bu**er to get off. :oops:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop
bidrick
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:01 pm

poppikin,

Tomorrow I will make a loaf in my Panasonic using your recipe. I'll post a picture of the result.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:19 am

poppikin,

Just came across this thread, I know it is going against the homemade thing abit, but have you tried the Hovis breadmixes? Asda are doing them 2 for a Quid, and you just add water and butter. These make a large loaf (basic setting) and would help confirm if the machine has a problem by cutting down the variables. Don't try on french setting, (I did) as it rises and sticks to lid and is a right bu**er to get off. :oops:

Thanks bidrick

Using these mixes never seems the right thing to do. We have no Asda here but I expect everyone sells them.

That said I have tried every possible make of bread flour I could see and the best result was from Hovis Super Strong Premium White.

I would prefer to adjust the variables if someone could help me.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:24 am

In my last post it will be seen that I still cannot succeed with the "Quote" function.

I would be grateful for some help with that.

poppikin
Last edited by poppikin on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:26 am

jenny_haddow wrote:poppikin,

Tomorrow I will make a loaf in my Panasonic using your recipe. I'll post a picture of the result.

Cheers

Jen

Thanks Jen, that's terrific.

It is the basic recipe from the Panasonic manual of which I previously posted a PDF on this thread.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:40 am

poppikin wrote:In my last post it will see I still cannot succeed with the "Quote" function.
would be gratreful for some help with that.

poppikin

Click on the "quote" button, that copies the text you want to reply to, and encloses it correctly. Hope that :idea: your way forward.

Otherwise, when you have copied the text you want to quote and pasted it into the reply window, highlight it and then click on the "quote" button above the reply window".

And don't forget that the "preview button" will let you preview what you've done to see if it works.

Best of luck.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:54 pm

There's something odd going on in those posts and I'm not quite sure what it is...

Edit, Poppikin, you have the "disable bbcode in this post" option selected in those posts.

When you type your text in the box there are some tick box options under it. Deselect the disable bbcode one then you will be fine. I did this for the posts of yours above...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby bidrick » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Something similar is probably lurking among all the postings on the forum, but this may be of some help to anybody turning out the odd rogue loaf.

http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/begin ... -chart.php
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop
bidrick
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:32 pm

poppikin,

I made a loaf today in my Panasonic using your recipe. It turned out very well as far as I can judge. Very light texture with a good crisp crust. I took some pictures, not very good I'm afraid, and I cut several slices to show the interior while it was still a bit warm so you can see the knife marks. All in all a good loaf though, the recipe seems to work as it should.

I used Tesco strong white bread flour and Doves yeast.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:49 am

jenny_haddow wrote:poppikin,

I made a loaf today in my Panasonic using your recipe. It turned out very well as far as I can judge. Very light texture with a good crisp crust. I took some pictures, not very good I'm afraid, and I cut several slices to show the interior while it was still a bit warm so you can see the knife marks. All in all a good loaf though, the recipe seems to work as it should.

I used Tesco strong white bread flour and Doves yeast.

HTH

Jen

Oh dear Jen!

Thanks for taking so much trouble, you really are a star, but your loaf is about twice as high as mine. What am I going to do?

I have wondered if it has something to do with the way I am putting the stuff in the pan so please would you mind telling me exactly what you did?

I sprinkle the Dove’s dried yeast in the bottom of the pan and then add the flour (Allisons very strong bread flour). I then add the sugar and salt (am not entirely happy about adding them together as some recipes say that the salt kills the sugar). I then put the butter in the centre on top. I then set the machine on the basic bake setting, size M and dark crust. I add the weighed water (cold or warm does not seem to make any difference), close the lid and start the machine.

Thanks again for help which is very much appreciated.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:39 am

Poppikin

I followed exactly the same procedure as you did, so I think we are probably back to pointing an acusing finger at the machine. It's the yeast and salt that need to be kept separate in the initial stages by the way.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 am

jenny_haddow wrote:Poppikin

I followed exactly the same procedure as you did, so I think we are probably back to pointing an acusing finger at the machine. It's the yeast and salt that need to be kept separate in the initial stages by the way.

Jen

Thanks Jen

I think it is time now to try and change the machine. I bought it from John Lewis with a 5 year warranty. I spoke before to Panasonic and they said that what I was describing is not a "recognised fault".

I will speak to John Lewis. May I quote your experience (no names of course).

Thanks again for everything.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:22 am

I get the impression that Panasonic are not the greatest at Customer Support... John Lewis on the other hand are said to be about the best retailer out there. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Good luck,

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby poppikin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:44 am

saucisson wrote:There's something odd going on in those posts and I'm not quite sure what it is...

Edit, Poppikin, you have the "disable bbcode in this post" option selected in those posts.

When you type your text in the box there are some tick box options under it. Deselect the disable bbcode one then you will be fine. I did this for the posts of yours above...

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I've had a weird experience because I deselected the disable bbcode as you instructed ( I did not know about this before) and it kept coming back every time I come onto the site and even during writing a reply to a post.

It then occurred to me that it must be set in my Profile (although I did not do it) so I changed it in there and now it is fine.

Thanks

Poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bread Making