Soggy top loaf with new Pansonic breadmaker

All about bread

Postby porker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm sorry you are still having problems ... if you are following the directions like Jenny says then it looks like it could be the machine.

I've been fortunate in that mine makes the bestest bread we've eaten in years, haven't bought one loaf since getting the Panasonic 254 ... I can't sing its praises high enough.

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Soggy top loaf with new Pansonic breadmaker

Postby poppikin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:12 am

Hello porker

Thanks. I find it hard to believe it's the machine and have thought it must be something I'm doing. I had my first Panasonic breadmaker in 1989 and it made wonderful bread.

Please would you mind checking with me what you do and what I do.

I am making the Basic Bake (4 hour) loaf Medium size Hard crust and felt I had to get that "standard" to work before trying variations.

Knowing that the water should not reach the yeast, at first I put the dried yeast in a pile around the paddle but then thought this may be making the hole so I now lay it out across the base of the pan. I then spoon the flour on top. It was always said the the salt and sugar should not touch so I had a pile of sugar on one side on the top of the flour and a pile of salt on the other but am not actually sure this it an issue so lately have sprinkled them both on top of the flour and then the knob of butter on top. I put the water in just before starting the machine.

I have had some difficulty in getting the paddle out and had to twist it but do not think it would make a hole that big - the hole is right across the base. The base is crusty but the edge of the hole is soggy dough.

Be grateful for any help.

poppikin
Last edited by poppikin on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:00 am

Sounds like a faulty breadmaker to me.
Try ringing the Panasonic helpline.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby poppikin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks Spuddy but I've already tried the Panasonic helpline without success.

What I would really like is if porker wouldn't mind sharing experiences with me as above as we have the same machine bought at the same time.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby porker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:33 am

This is where I'm at, for our daily bread ... I'm using 25g of virgin olive oil in place of the butter, on the large loaf with a medium crust setting.

Seriously we haven't bought any bread since buying this machine, I tried the sandwich loaf which was also excellent to the point of being too soft, I couldn't spread the butter on it ... so I'm back to the basic healthy white ... which for me is 1 teaspoon measure of dried yeast, 425g organic white + 50g of organic whole meal, and 1 1/2 teaspoons organic raw cane sugar, 1 1/4 sea salt both spread over the flour, I use virgin olive oil 25g which means I can use a good spread of organic butter :D then I pour in warm water 325g and straight into panasonic for 4 hours ... cool on a cake rack and pop into plastic bag.

Hope that helps

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks porker

I was rather hoping that you may be able to see from my description
what I could be doing to cause my problems?

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby porker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 am

Only thing I can thing of is the butter may not getting mixed properly but thats only a thought ... i went for olive oil for a healthier option plus I didn't have to worry about a lump of hard butter getting mixed correctly. Other than that it looks like you are on track ... Ohh, how sensitive are your scales? some scales are measuing to the nearest 5g which could also throw you out a bit, but I shouldn't have thought enough to spoil your loaf.

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks porker

The scales are electronic and excellent and I put new batteries in just in case. I am using the Panasonic measuring device for yeast, salt, sugar and water.

Did you have any trouble getting the blade out?

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby porker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 am

I would suggest try weighing the water.

When I take the container out of the Panasonic the loaf can be a little stuck, but a couple of good shakes and out the loaf comes, the blade cuts its way out of the loaf and stays in the container.

I pour some water into the container when it has cooled and the blade then comes out easily for cleaning ... I just wipe it all down with a square of kitchen roll.

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Poppikin,

It's the yeast and salt that need to be kept separate in the initial stages which is why all bread machines have the flour between the yeast and all the other ingredients. As for the blade sticking in the loaf, I have found the Panasonic to be the only machine I've owned where the blade comes cleanly out of the loaf every time, so I'm wondering if you have a problem with the blade turning correctly while the machine is in operation.

I would run it without any ingredients and the lid open and watch how it turns. If you put it on the rapid setting it will start turning straight away on the staggered turns and soon goes into the continuous turns. You should be able to see if its faulty fairly quickly and not have to run it through a full programme. Turn off the machine and leave it for the memory to 'forget' so you can start again from scratch.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 pm

poppikin wrote:Thanks Spuddy but I've already tried the Panasonic helpline without success.
poppikin

I don't understand, with ALL the problems you are having it screams "faulty" to me.
So they don't think it's faulty?
I've got the exact same model as you and I've used different ratios of flour and water, different recipes and different loaf sizes and have NEVER experienced the problems you are having... it HAS to be faulty.

If Panasonic won't help you then take it back to where you got it from, while you still have a warranty.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby MickHeaton » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:10 pm

If your maker has a dough setting try that, see if it comes out mixed up correctly, it will help resolve the problem perhaps by eliminating one. Your blade would cause this type of problem if it was not an evenly mixed dough.

As far as the yeast and salt, as correctly mentioned they need to be kept apart until mixed - yeast is killed by salt. When they are mixed together the level is relatively low due to all the other ingredients but if placed directly together it simply kills the yeast. It will do no harm other than your rise will be poor.

I always weigh my water. 1ml is exactly the same as 1g, its no coincidence 1ltr is the same as 1kg (1000ml / 1000g) :D

Try the dough setting, as long as it is evenly mixed and 'silky' and ever so slightly tacky it is mixing fine and you can start the process of elimination?
MickHeaton
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 am

Thanks Spuddy

Panasonic were very off-hand and snooty about it and said nothing I was describing is a recognised fault.

With regard to the warranty, having read adverse reviews about this breadmaker on Amazon (I bought it anyway) I took out a 5 year warranty so there's plenty of time to get it sorted.......

Thanks for help.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks MickHeaton

Yours are very good ideas thank you.

Weighing the water was mentioned above but I thought it shouldn't be necessary as Panasonic provide a measure but I will give it a try. At least the flour and water will be correct relative to each other.

I will also try your dough suggestion.

Have you any idea why I have this large hole across the inside of the bottom of the loaf?

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:25 am

I wonder if the paddle is turning during the final baking cycle?
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bread Making