Lidl white bread flour

All about bread

Lidl white bread flour

Postby tinca » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:59 pm

on my travels , i popped into lidl, and came across there bread flour, had a quick look at the ingredients and it was clear this has improver in it , but due to the price i just couldnt say no, 83p per kilo, ive used it a few times now and my bread making has improved no end :lol: :lol: got 5 kilos in me cupboard now :drool: just wish they would do more varities Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:15 am

Mine sells it a 60p a 1.5Kg bag, you've been caught :D
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Their ciabatta one is really nice too
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:26 pm

lemonD wrote:Mine sells it a 60p a 1.5Kg bag, you've been caught :D

I think he means the 1 kilo ready to use bags of variety breads that you just add water to :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby cannyfradock » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:04 pm

tinca

Good tip on the Lidl bread flour.

I usually buy my strong white flour (Allisons) from Morrisons....which is much more expensive.

I have been experimenting lately using a "sponge" mix using Rye flour (5%) in the initial sponge mix for pizza bases.......Shall have a go with Lidl's bread flour...............nice tip

Cheers.......Terry
Honi soit qui mal y pense

UK WFO Forum http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboards.com

Porchetta di Testa.. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5561
cannyfradock
Registered Member

Postby coastie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 am

Morrisons have Bero flour on offer 50p for a 3lb bag of plain or self rising
coastie
coastie
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Whilst not quite in the same price bracket, I buy unbleached white organic bread flour from Shipton Mill at less than £1 per kilo, delivered to my door. The only catch is that it comes in a 16 kg bag (but it is darned good baking flour - recommended and used by Richard Bertinet and other professional bakers).
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Ok maybe a dumbazz question , but do people in the UK generally make there own bread? I read about you guys buying large quantities of flour, but where I am those amounts would last me years, Just curious. (Ok maybe not years but a real long time)
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:41 pm

DanMcG

The vast majority of people in the UK do not bake their own bread. They go and buy - usually white - bread-type substance wrapped in plastic bags. I think also that those of us who make our own bread do not often buy flour in large quantities. There are probably many reasons for that but I suspect that one of them is that in a typical UK house there is insufficient storage space for a large bag of flour. I am fortunate that we have quite a large kitchen so I have room to store my flours. I get through about 2 to 3 of the 16 kg bags per year but I am not sure if that will continue now that my eldest daughter as left home. Having said that, I use that flour to feed the ferments that I maintain and I have two of those on the go so maybe I will continue using a similar amount of flour.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:43 pm

As Ruralidle said, the majority of people buy sliced white bread. But I think a growing number of people use one of these:

I have made my own bread for 30 odd years, I have recently bought one of them. They don't make white bread as good as making it by hand, but it is as good, if not better than the bakers round here.

Being diabetic, I have been told to eat wholemeal bread. I can only eat wholemeal if it is sweet and nutty, so that means it has to be baked correctly. Unfortunately I can't get the bread machine to do it to my liking, so I'm back to making bread by hand, well in the kenwood, every day.

I think, there may be a growing number of nut cases like me, who are fed up with the crap being put out by the commercial bakers.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wallie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:42 am

I fully agree with Oddley about the crap bread thats coming out of these so called big commercial bakeries.
We call it plastic bread, I would not be surprised in the future to see those big bakery wagons comiming out of the Formica factory around the corner from where I live.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Oddley

My dad makes a great wholemeal in his machine - he's away at the moment, in The Lake District (lucky thing), but if you remind me in a week or so, I'll get the recipe off him.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Cheers wheels, I would love the recipe.

The hand baked recipe that I developed works great, made by hand it tastes like hovis used to taste, a really sweet nutty taste, I'm not really a wholemeal lover, so I have to make sure I bake it right or it goes in the bin.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm the same, and I'm not too hot on the seeded loaves which the rest of the family insist that I make.

I guess they've got fewer dodgy teeth than I have!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:35 pm

HaHa, I never bake seeded loaves, or eat them from other sources, I can think of better ways to crack my few good teeth.. :)
Oddley
Registered Member

Next

Return to Bread Making