Doughnuts - Falklands Style

All about bread

Doughnuts - Falklands Style

Postby denty632 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Good morning from the Falkland Islands...

I have been an avid reader of the forum for a while, mostly in terms of sausages, I will post my goose ones one day! but today thought I would share my recent doughnut exploits.

So, my recipe from the Kenwood cookbook (a little pressie to myself at chrimbo, the Kenwood, not the cookbook!);

450 g/1 lb strong white flour
5ml/1tsp salt
50g/2oz butter
50g/2oz caster sugar
7g sachet fast action dried yeast
1 egg
140 ml/1/4 pint lukewarm milk
Oil for deep frying
Caster sugar for sprinkling
Seedless jam (or whatever filling you like really!)

Method,

Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.

Flour, salt and butter in the kenwood bowl and mix on speed 1 with the K beater to incorporate the butter into the flour. Mix in the sugar and yeast. (you could of course use your fingers…)

Replace the K Beater with the dough hook. Add the egg, lukewarm milk and about 90ml/3fl oz lukewarm water and mix on minimum speed to form a soft dough.

Knead for 5-6 minutes on minimum speed, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Remove the kenwood bowl, cover with lightly oiled clear film (or shower cap thanks to the Baker Boys!) and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (again, hands an option, you would need to knead for longer…)

After rising, use the dough hook on minimum speed for 30-60 seconds gently knead the dough to knock back. (again, the hands.. but you get the message…. :wink: )

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and divide into 16 small balls (or cut circles with a hole for rings etc etc)

Place all 16 on lightly oiled baking sheets and cover with oiled clear film.

Leave the doughnuts in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.

Heat the oil for deep frying to 180°C (Note below on this..) or until a cube of stale bread when added to the oil, turns golden brown in 30-60 seconds.

Cook the doughnuts 3-4 at a time in the oil for about 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove using a slotted spoon and transfer onto absorbent kitchen paper to drain.

Gently heat jam with a tsp water and place in piping bag.

Using a piping nozzle, inserted heated jam (or other product) into each doughnut.

Toss in caster sugar and set aside to cool (now fight the kids off them while they cool lest they burn their little fingers!!)

Note on frying… when I first tried these, I, like another on the board, had the oil way too hot, they burned on the outside and were raw in the middle, kids still tried to eat them!! Have the oil very low and take it off the heat when you are fiddling, watch closely, they burn quickly.
You will see from pics, I fill some of mine, as I have a South American influence in the family with Dulce de Leche (google it, it is easy to make and easier to buy!!)

enjoy, these are now a staple Sunday night pudding, Sunday is bread making day in our house... :D

I did try and upload pics, can't work out how to do it at the moment, you can see my pics on flickr at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/falklands_baker_boy/
denty632
Registered Member

Postby denty632 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:06 am

They are just fantastic... Thanks for the comment

:lol: :D
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Postby homer » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:02 pm

what comment :wink:
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby denty632 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Well there was one.... It's gone!!!
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Sorry, it's due to a spammer being deleted. They're getting crafty, making what seems like a genuine post and then adding the spam to their signature later. :evil:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Bread Making