Another Bacon Question

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby JerBear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 pm

How about this as a happy medium,

"Curing is science, but flavor is art." (though to be argumentative I prefer craft over art..either way... :wink:
Last edited by JerBear on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby DiyBacon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 pm

JerBear wrote:How about this as a happy medium,

"Curing is science, but flavor is art." (thought to be argumentative I prefer craft over art..either way... :wink:

Yep good. Woz about to agree, ( apart from the speelin of flavour ;) heheee)

but still feeling argumentative:-
not just flavour, presentation?, acceptable smell ?
argh, now then, cue the lovers of fermented fish and cabbage ! (does that count for "cure"? urgh >>
>> runs for cover ;) ;)
DiyBacon
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 am

Ah, see now there's where we differ. There's no presentation, just pile it on the plate and go to town!
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Kaiser Soze » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 am

BriCan wrote:Just back from seeing a 'high end' client -- question was can we make bacon as well as sausage using the 'spent' rice used from making sake :?: :shock:

I said yes; hummm wonders if I'm wrong :?

Also look up Tsukemono which is the japanese pickled vegetables, and Kasuzuke which is fish or vegetables pickled in sake lees. These might give you some inspiration.
Kaiser Soze
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 am

DiyBacon wrote:
JerBear wrote:How about this as a happy medium,

"Curing is science, but flavor is art." (thought to be argumentative I prefer craft over art..either way... :wink:

Yep good. Woz about to agree, ( apart from the speelin of flavour ;) heheee)

but still feeling argumentative:-
not just flavour, presentation?, acceptable smell ?
argh, now then, cue the lovers of fermented fish and cabbage ! (does that count for "cure"? urgh >>
>> runs for cover ;) ;)

I do hate to be pushy :roll: :wink: and I would love :?: to join the both of you --- but to keep it clean lets start another tread. I love a good debate (pros and cons :?: ) and you both have valid points :) and this senile old fart needs to get his head strait. But ....................... :!:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:02 pm

oh yeah JerBear, I wasn't suggesting smoking with the hops themselves, those are too valuable ;-) plus once dried they'd go up like wildfire. I figured if you burn oak/cherry/apple for distinct flavors then maybe the actual bine of the hop would burn with a unique aroma (although only slightly slower than the hops themselves.)

As for the grains, yes, I've thought about using them as fillers, but to this point I can't bring myself to dilute the pure meaty goodness. Although the thought of making kiszka with spent grains instead of buckwheat is close enough to tradition. Heck, it's sausage and it's Polish, how much more can something scream "use whatever you can find" (and yes, my Busia and Dziadzia both came over on the boat as kids in the 1920s so I'm allowed to say that ;-)
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby DiyBacon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 pm

BriCan wrote:I do hate to be pushy :roll: :wink: and I would love :?: to join the both of you --- but to keep it clean lets start another tread.
Yes, you are quite correct :) I should have quoted and debated you in "Chatter",
I should not have mudied the waters in extended debate in this thread,
sorry.
DiyBacon
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:15 am

New thread regarding cure: science vs craft and defining bacon created over here: http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?p=87817#87817
JerBear
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques