Fermentation chamber in the city

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Fermentation chamber in the city

Postby gsevelle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

So I have three bathrooms in the house and my son moved out a couple of years ago. Things to do with that extra bathroom. !!! The shower makes a perfect fermentation chamber since we do not have basements or cellers in SOCal. To hold temp and humidity I used a desk fan blowing across a brick of ice. The temps held between 70F to 73F and humidity held between 70 to 75 RH. Now all I have to do is wait for another 80 days while the salami hangs out in the drying frig. :D

gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Well I've seen some things, but I could never have imagined that!

:D :D :D

Be carefull that the fan doesn't give case hardening at the bottom of the salami though.

Amazing, three bathrooms in a house! My Grandma thought that one was being a bit adventurous. And, as for having a crap inside, well I ask you, it can't be hygienic!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby gsevelle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:54 am

wheels wrote:Well I've seen some things, but I could never have imagined that!

:D :D :D

Be carefull that the fan doesn't give case hardening at the bottom of the salami though.

Amazing, three bathrooms in a house! My Grandma thought that one was being a bit adventurous. And, as for having a crap inside, well I ask you, it can't be hygienic!

Phil

Wheels,

The fermentation chamber is off limits to all with a do not enter sign on the door. I even had to wait for company to leave before I could set it up.

Yes we over here on the other side of the pond tend to do things big. I'd much rather have a small basement that is musty than having to do this but I'll work with what I got!!!
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Sorry, my sense of humour gets the better of me sometimes.

If it works, go with it!

Phil :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Having just redone my parents bathroom for them, I can say that's some nice tile work. :wink: It may be overkill, but just like Kobe beef, you'll have some of the most pampered salami ever made.

How often do you have to swap in a new block of ice?
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 pm

johngaltsmotor wrote:How often do you have to swap in a new block of ice?

Weather here was hot in the 90's to 100's (fahrenheit that is) so had to run the AC which we set at 78 or so. Changed the ice out three times per day. Once in the morning as I was getting going, then around 1:00 p.m. or so, then again just before going to bed around 9:00 p.m. it seemed to work pretty well. Now that the weather has gotten back to normal I could probably cut it down to twice a day.

George
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Ingenious setup. Hope it works. I share the concern about the fan, it may get humid enough in there without a fan running regardless.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Wunderdave wrote:Ingenious setup. Hope it works. I share the concern about the fan, it may get humid enough in there without a fan running regardless.

No real significant drying of the skins they are pretty even and it was only for 3 day. The fan was 12 inches below the longest salami so no direct air was being blown across the meat.

It seems to have done the job.
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques