Franken-Bacon (experiments in pork belly curing)

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby captain wassname » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 am

I know that bacon over there MUST be smoked but I would say that well over half the bacon over here is unsmoked.Also made from loin and shoulder as well as belly
Im personally not that keen on smoked food with the exception of fish

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 pm

If you like to experiment, call a nursery adn try to find Arp rosemary. It's a trype of rosemary that is much milder then normal, not the 'hammer wrapped in rosemary to the face' most are, with a lightly citrus undernote. I started making bacon with it this summer for the farmer's market and people went fla-out nuts for it. After one week, I couldnt' make enough of the stuff. It's well worth the look if you can find it.

The downside is I've had to take up gardening and (soon) aquaponics to keep myself in rosemary.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Chainsaw13 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 am

While it might move it a bit further away from a true bulgogi, have you thought about using gojuchang in the cure/marinade? I've also seen some bulgogi recipes that use grated Asian pears, which would provide sweetness and maybe a bit more flavor than the sugar.

Now you have me wanting to make my own version. I'm a huge bulgogi fan and this sounds like it would be right up my alley.
Bob
Chainsaw13
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Chainsaw13, I did think about gojuchang but wanted the flavor less so than the heat and funk of the chile paste, definately worth another experiment. I also like the idea of the alternate rosemary, I've been eyeing some of the pancetta I made recently and thought about test-smoking some.

I just talked to my purveyor and I'm hoping to pick up another case of bellies on Wednesday. More shenanigans to follow!
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 am

JerBear wrote:I just talked to my purveyor and I'm hoping to pick up another case of bellies on Wednesday. More shenanigans to follow!

Oh my giddy aunt --- we have created a bacon monster, I think this nice chap is going for his degree in Baconolagy :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JerBear » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Just put up the latest posting about the Mexican bacon...

http://hgsausageworks.blogspot.com/2012/11/frankenbacon-mi-amigo-el-mexi-bacon.html
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Chainsaw13 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:48 am

Interesting Jered. I hope your hand is ok after the napalm incident. Was there a reason for applying the chiles after the piloncillo? I would think it would impart more flavor if they were in direct contact with the belly. I also like your idea of grinding them finer next time.

One thing I've noticed when trying to add flavors to bacon is to use way more than you'd think. That's why I stick to standard bacon now. But you've piqued my curiosity again to try some new flavors.

Bob
Bob
Chainsaw13
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 am

Thanks for asking, my hand is fine. Hurt like the bejeesus for a bit but nothing a beer didn't fix. I agree that a higher quantity would be necessary, the idea of the application after the sugar was that the sugar was going to be a thinner coating and "glue" the chiles in place. I think everything ground fine and mixed together then applied will be best moving forward.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 pm

New post up on Frankenbacon - Mi Amigo el Mexi-bacon. Only one more to go...

http://hgsausageworks.blogspot.com/2012/11/frankenbacon-mi-amigo-el-mexi-bacon.html
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Correction - already linked up to the Mexican bacon.. my bad... :oops:

New (& final post in series) on Frankenbacon - Hippity Hop Bacon. No frogs were harmed when making this bacon

http://hgsausageworks.blogspot.com/2012 ... bacon.html
JerBear
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques