Bacon Question

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Bacon Question

Postby ericrice » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Alright, have a pretty good idea of what I'll get back for responses but just need to hear it I guess. Two pork bellies, cured for 4 days and then Hurricane Sandy. Temp in my holding fridge was at 60 degrees (16 celcius) this morning so a gradulal increase from proper temps to that over the last 12 hours. Since it had 4 full days curing before that any chance it will be okay if I get it back under refrigeration now?
:?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:29 pm

If it was only for about 12 hours, I'd give it a chance. You are well within the active nitrite range, and if you cured at 120 ppm, well above the minimum activity level to prevent botulism. Can't say how it has done for other bacteria, though, since nitrite isn't a cure against everything else. You can at least give it a try and see how it comes out. You can always bin it, later, if it turns out scary. JMO, of course.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Vindii » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 pm

I've cold smoked bacon for 12 hours at a time. This was after fully curing though.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:12 pm

I too would have no problem with that. I hope that it, and you, came through the storm OK.

phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ericrice » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:21 pm

The bacon we'll wait and see. The family, no power for 24 hrs now, think it will be another day or two. however me, the wife and my 14 month old daughter are all dong fine - that (and they) are all that really matters.

Appreciate everyone's well wishes and advice.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques