White fish cure

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

White fish cure

Postby Cowpoker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi,

I'm planning to cold smoke some cod and haddock but just need to clear a couple of things up before I get started:

1) Can I use a similar dry cure to that used prior to smoking salmon/trout, ie, 80/20% of salt/sugar for approx 10 hours?

2) How long should I smoke for? (I am using a mixture of beech chips and dust)

All input very welcome.

CP
Cowpoker
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm

For fish I use the same brine I use on hams, diluted by 50%. Dry cure, I can't speak to.

For the amount of smoke, white fish being milder I would use the color as a judge. Smoke until they look good and that should be the flavor you're after. I do a bunch of salmon (Pacific NW here) and people generally ask for a heavy smoke. I'll hit it until the surface is a medium to dark caramel color, but oily fish like salmon can take a bigger smoke flavor. For a whitefish, I'd smoke until it has a nice pale cafe au lait color then test for flavor from there. Also, be aware that any flavor will mellow after 24 hours to 4 days as the smoke compounds are absorbed from the surface (learned that the hard way smoking cheeses).
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I'd brine it in an 80° Brine (268gm salt added to 1 litre water) for no more than 10 minutes or so and then smoke for... ...well that depends on your setup, but I'd try a bit after 3 or 4 hours.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Cowpoker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm very grateful for both of your input here and found it interesting, and let's face it, convenient that I should perhaps create a quick brine as opposed to my default choice of applying a dry cure to the fish. Also, a 3-4 hour smoke is obviously preferable. My smoker, a home made brick chamber (about the same dimensions as a pre war outside toilet) has a very efficient smoke box in which I normally smoke my bacon for 22-24 hours. I''ll do as you say and try after 3-4 hours and keep you posted.

Thanks a lot once again for your responses!

CP
Cowpoker
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques