Need some help with curing - I'm new to this.

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Need some help with curing - I'm new to this.

Postby CaptainSEO » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi

I liked the idea of curing my own bacon, traditional style, so I came here and ordered some saltpetre because, as I say, I want to do it traditionally.

Anyway, a package arrived Saturday morning so I purchased a small belly of pork for a trial run. On my return, I thought I would make a start, I weighed out some Malden sea salt and opened my bag of saltpetre.

Unfortunately, I hadn't been sent saltpetre. The delivery contained 4001 All Purpose Curing Salt. After lots of swearing and cursing the owners of this emporium, I put the pork back in the fridge and sulked.

A couple of days later, I thought I may as well use this stuff with all the additives etc and set to it. This 4001 stuff says to only use 1.5% (15G / KG).

My small belly was only 1.5KG, so I weighed out 27.5G of cure and mixed it with some chopped sage and thyme.

24 hours later I returned to take a look and there is no appreciable liquids in the bottom of the container.

Have I messed up by following the 15% guideline?
If I need to add more, is it too late?

I just wish they sent me what I ordered.
CaptainSEO
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Welcome.
If it said use at 1.5% then you will be OK
Ideally you should have added a bit more ordinary salt (say to make up to 2% and some sugar to 0.5%)
You should be OK if you rub this in now and wrap in clingfilm and leave in a plastic container.
Im not sure but I believe the all purpose salt contains sodium nitrite and potassium nitrate.
Best kept curing for 10 days turning regularly.
Lack of liquid is nothing to be concerned about.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:35 pm

sorry: cure#1 would be abetter option for bacon IMHO but no worries with the all purpose.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby CaptainSEO » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Is the cling film important?

I have it in a snug fitting stoneware pot with tine foli as a lid.
CaptainSEO
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Im not too sure Ive been dry curing for 4 years and never given it a second thought but I would imagine so .Cant do any harm to wrap it.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby CaptainSEO » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks for your help.
CaptainSEO
Registered Member

Postby CaptainSEO » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:20 pm

I added a bit more salt and a smidge of sugar. It has now leached some fluids and the colour is changing, however, there is a bit of a smell to it.

I wouldn't say it's the smell of rotting meat, but I wouldn't say it was the smell of fresh meat.

Should there be any smell?
CaptainSEO
Registered Member

Postby SteveW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:23 pm

I've only been making bacon for a couple of years but I don't get any smells when I cure mine. I don't cling film my bacon, I just apply the cure and put them in ziploc bags then in a plastic container in the fridge and massage/turn every day. I assume you are keeping the bacon in the fridge? How long has it been curing?

Steve
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Is the smell good or bad? The curing salt should inhibit bacterial growth, but if something is starting to smell off, something may be wrong. I've cured bacons and left them uncovered in totes in the cooler for over a week with no odors at all, how long has yours been curing?
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm

wait till the curing is complete(10 days.) rinse it and leave in the fridge uncovered for a couple of days before you start to worry

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby CaptainSEO » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm

I abandoned it. Smelled horrible after a couple of days.
CaptainSEO
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques