How to heat a curing chamber?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

How to heat a curing chamber?

Postby JerBear » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 am

This may have been discussed previously but I can't seem to find the thread. How have you chosen to heat your curing chamber? I've looked at a few options but I'm curious to know what you've found works and what didn't.

Thanks!
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:07 am

I use a seed sprouting heat pad in my fermentation chamber, the advantage is no light, I reptile heat pad should also work, I would think.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 am

I was thinking of a ceramic reptile heater... what size is your curing chamber? I'm anticipating mine to be on the larger size... I'm hoping to get this on sunday:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bfd/3377440299.html
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:40 am

Jerbear,
I am very interested how you are going to convert this didplay fridge. For a few months I have been looking around for something like this as well.
Here in Brisbane I definitely need the refrigeration side of things.
I will keep on picking your brains ig you don't mind.
Good Luck,
Jan. Brisbane
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:34 am

Jan; can you not pick up another (cheep) proofer like you got for your smoker (a double door one would do you well)

Just a thought as thats the way I would go --- but I'm looking at building a room size one :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:16 pm

5 x 100 ohm w/w resistors connected in parallel across a 12 V brick. Gives about 8 W which is more than enough to kick the compressor in a few times per day when the external temperature is near freezing. I used to use a length of trace heating tape giving 25 W but that was more than needed and not so tidy.

Martin/
Last edited by onewheeler on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Mine is only about 7 cubic feet, but it doesn't take much to keep it up to temp.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:47 pm

here's an alternative good for a small fridge. i use a crock pot [slo cooker] with a "keep warm" setting. i have a variable resistor [a simple light dimmer switch] in the circuit which i have used to adjust the crock pot temp when set to "keep warm" so that the chamber stays about 100F. i use the "low" setting with the variable resistor to keep the temp about 140F if needed, although i rarely do so. if u put about 1 inch of warm water into the pot, u can have a nice, humid curing chamber at a steady temp of about 100F, or 140F. this actually works quite well, and the supplies are nominal.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Interesting hack, I hadn't thought of a crock pot before. I would think thought that those temperatures would be more suited to fermenting, correct?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 pm

i thought he meant fermenting because he mentioned heat. sorry if i mis-undestood.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm

onewheeler wrote:5 x 100 ohm w/w resistors connected in parallel across a 12 V brick. Gives about 8 W which is more than enough to kick the compressor in a few times per day when the external temperature is near freezing. I used to use a length of trace heating tape giving 25 W but that was more than needed and not so tidy.

Martin/

Martin what do you mean 12V brick? Like a big battery like this?

or do you use power adapter wall wart outputting 12v?

I recently moved and the location of my curing chamber is relatively cold, so overnight the compressor doesn't kick in and the RH spikes to the high 80s/90% so I'm looking for some solutions to get the compressor running to reduce the RH around the clock without excessive airflow. Maybe as my sausages dry out this won't be a problem but I'm a control freak...
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Yes, a 12V "wall wart" as you know them on the left hand side of the pond :)

My curing 'fridge is in the garage, it's somewhere below 5 C ambient at the moment. The small amount of heat is enough to make the compressor come on often enough to keep the humidity fairly steady (keeping it down is more of a problem than keeping it up). (The 'fridge is a small upright, I guess about 200 litre at most).

When I looked earlier today the max/min over the past 24 h was between about 62% and 70% with the temperature regulator set to 9 C. No other humidity control other than one of the salad drawers filled with saturated salt solution and a tiny 25 mm fan blowing into it.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:45 am

Mr Brican,
Matter of fact, there are a few double door breadproofers for sale here locally, the bodies, all stainless in/outside, are all in good condition and they are cheap.
I mentioned this to my wife and the poor girl nearly flipped her lid.
My main concern in Brisbane is how the keep an even low temperature in the proofer if I use one for a curing unit.
Over the coming five days we will have a heatwave here.
Fancy trying to keep the curing unit cool without any refrigeration.
I am still thinking about buying a drinks display fridge.
I am open for other suggestions from experienced members.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:47 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Mr Brican,

I gues you are peed off with me now with using the Mr.

I mentioned this to my wife and the poor girl nearly flipped her lid.

I am truly sorry to have ruffed her feathers, please pass on my -- well you know :(

My main concern in Brisbane is how the keep an even low temperature in the proofer if I use one for a curing unit.

The reason that I mentioned the proofer was that you mentioned that you could get it/them cheep due to the fact that they wuz not working. Now here's the smart part; and its only if you can get a small widow type air conditioner you 'could' use that

When one has not got the resources one has to think outside the box so to speak :wink:

I am open for other suggestions from experienced members.

Point taken
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi Robert,
I am not pi---d off at all. Your replies are always welcome. I did pass on your condolences to my wife, she only mumbled something I didn't hear as I am usually are selectively deaf.
I will go and check out what proofers are available as I have a small aircon available, virtually brand new. It used to cool a very small office.
Thanks for waking me up to it.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Next

Return to Curing Techniques