Making Bacon?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:50 am

Mike.
I have experimented with dry and wet cures for bacon and I have tried every variation that is virtually listed on the forum.
Sofar I like Big Guys recipe the best, the others weren't inferior at all but Big Guys recipe suits ME down to a tee.
My wife prefers Phils dry cure, not surprising of course as they are both Poms.
Just keep on experimenting.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:19 am

I see how their are different cure mixtures for the bacon. I'll try Phil's Mild Cure, I wonder if it has enough salt in it to taste when the bacon is finished being smoked? I know the other cure mixture in the link has more salt and less sugar http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=cur ... alculators.
I also see in the cure calculator it has UK cure#1 and US cure#1, I bet I should follow the US cure#1 calculations.
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:08 am

FWIW, I use the saltier of my cures for smoking. In the US, you'd use the calculation for US Cure #1, but it's somewhat academic.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeF » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:07 am

wheels wrote:FWIW, I use the saltier of my cures for smoking. In the US, you'd use the calculation for US Cure #1, but it's somewhat academic.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

Do you think I should try the other cure mixture instead of the Mild Cure?
I'm not picky as to which one to use, but if the other is better for smoking, that might be better option.

I appreciate it :wink:
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:11 pm

:) I picked up the pork belly today at the butcher. I was surprised to see that their were ribs still attached to the slab they gave me. I ended up removing the rib section, then after I weighted it was about 6 pounds. I was hoping for 10 pounds but that's ok. I'll experiment with this piece and see how it turns out. I had to calculate everything since it wasn't 10 pounds but its now in the fridge with the cure. Now I wait 7 days.
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby Greyham » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:14 pm

All good stuff and making me bloody hungry.
the one thing i would mention however, is fat content of bacon. wether back or streaky the more fat the more flavor esp when smoking.
My customers love the rind on smoked bacon and smoked pancetta or streaky as it is useful to cut of and add to braises, stews, etc. I sell small 200gm blocks of both back an streaky for those that wish to do that.
I would leave a side of back or streaky in my smoker for one week. adding smoke every other day. i would then mature for a further two weeks
Greyham
BANNED

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Greyham wrote:I would leave a side of back or streaky in my smoker for one week. adding smoke every other day. i would then mature for a further two weeks

Thank you Grayham, I will try that when the winter arrives here.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Re: Making Bacon?

Postby MikeF » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 pm

My bacon has been hanging in the garage for about 2 weeks, I think it time to take it down and put it in storage. I'm wanting to keeping the bacon fresh for a few months. Is it possible to keep it in the freezer or would that affect the quality of the bacon? Otherwise I'll wrap it up and seal it in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

Thanks! :wink:
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Bacon freezes well in a vacuum package.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby MikeF » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Thank you NCPaul! I appreciate it :wink:

Mike
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby Mohalk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:47 pm

After reading all of this I kinda feel like a slab of bacon left to hang! How did the bacon turn out/taste?

Al
Old school! Why? I'm old.
Mohalk
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques