Making Bacon?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Sorry mike, I wasn't clear, I do 12 hours each day. However, the ProQ produces very little smoke and my chamber has a good chimney!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Vindii » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm

I think it depends on your cold smoking set-up. Like Phil I use the proQ and find that 2-3 runs with it is just right for me. Each run is around 10-12 hours. It makes a very light smoke though. If you set-up smokes harder you may want less.

If your just getting into making your own bacon give this a read. I asked many of the same questions you probably have. These are a pretty helpful.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... highlight=
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Its alright wheels :) , I understand now that the ProQ makes small amounts of smoke at a time compared to other smokers. My smoker is just a plywood box with a hotplate on the bottom to heat the wood chips/shavings. I used it last winter it does produce a lot of thick smoke if you turn the hot plate up high, I usually leave it on medium heat. I'll go by the color of the bacon to tell whether its finished smoking. I'll use hickory shavings for the bacon.

Vindii,

Thanks for that link, I'll have to read over it tonight. It looks very informative! :wink:
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks Mike. :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:48 am

Hi Mike,
This a photo of my bacon and some ham pieces I smoke usually over a period
of 3 days, all depending on the weather here, sometimes I smoke them twice a day for a few hours.
I like a nice mahogany colour on my smoked bacon, sausages and hot smoked fish.
Cold smoking is impossible in the sub tropics.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:49 am

Looks great Jan!!

Can I get a piece..... :lol: I like how you have them on the hooks, not sure If I can get some hooks when I have my bacon. I like how simple you have the bacon with the twine instead of the hook.

Thanks for the tips!!
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:32 am

Mike,
Just fly down under for a short break. Plenty of smoked goodies, cold beer and some home distilled throat disinfectant as well.
The bacon racks were made by me out of scap. I have wider ones as well.
Since I am retired I need things to do. I just finished building a smoke house from an all stainless bread proofer.
When I find the photo I will post it.
Cheers Mate.
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby MikeF » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:42 am

I need some help trying to figure out how much of the cure mixture to use. I'm going to get a 10 pound Pork Belly from the butcher. I know I'll need to add 2 teaspoons of the Cure #1 for 10 pounds but what about the sugar and salt? Its going to be a simple smoked bacon, I won't be adding any other flavors.

I know I saw this formula:
Is this for only 1 pound of pork belly?

18.5g salt
10g sugar

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:07 am

I think that that's one of mine for 1kg.

However, I'd go for more salt and less sugar for a smoked bacon. I'm on the laptop, so can't do it in imperial measures. But, I'd be looking for around 23 - 26gm salt per kg and around 8-10gm sugar, with 2.5gm cure #1. Traditionally, they'd have gone even higher on the salt and lower on the sugar.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeF » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:15 pm

I found this dry cure mixture for bacon in this link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/mix/index.ssf ... r-own.html

Could I use this? I know it has 4 teaspoons of cure #1 for 10 pounds, but isn't it suppose to be 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds?
I'll have to replace the 1/2 cup of brown sugar for regular white sugar.

Another recipe says to use 2 cups salt and 1 1/2 cups sugar for 10-12 pounds pork belly.

I'm not sure which recipe to use?
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 pm

You really should find/get a scale. I did a skinned belly last night at 7.7 pounds and I doubt it was 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. Bellies can come in all different sizes and percentages will allow for that. If you can't access a scale, give me the exact weight and I'll try to measure the volume of the cure mix I use (Wheels' mild cure).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby MikeF » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 am

NCPaul wrote:You really should find/get a scale. I did a skinned belly last night at 7.7 pounds and I doubt it was 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. Bellies can come in all different sizes and percentages will allow for that. If you can't access a scale, give me the exact weight and I'll try to measure the volume of the cure mix I use (Wheels' mild cure).

Thanks NCPaul,

Yes, I have a scale I just need help figuring out how much sugar and salt to use for a 10 pound pork belly? I'll make sure to tell the butcher to make it 10 pounds for the pork belly.
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 am

That makes it easier. :D There are some calculators here:
http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=cur ... alculators
Just input the weight of your pork belly (4540 g for 10 pounds). I like the mild cure; it may not be perfect for you but you won't have any trouble eating it. Once you have a baseline, you'll know how to adjust with the calculate your own cure.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby MikeF » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 am

Alright, I used the cure calculator and came up with:

Salt 83.9g
Sugar 45.4g
Cure #1 10.9g

I'll have to go with these calculations when I do make the bacon, maybe I'll add a little black pepper but I really want to keep it simple. I'm sure the hickory wood chips will add lots of flavor as it is.
Now all I need to do is order the pork belly and begin.

Thanks Guys!
I appreciate it :wink:
MikeF
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:56 am

You'll thank us a lot in two weeks. Oh, by the way, you'll never be happy buying bacon in the stores again. :)
NCPaul
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Curing Techniques