Proscuitto

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Proscuitto

Postby ped » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:08 pm

I am going to have a go at Proscuitto as per this recipe: http://gozman.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/ ... rst-steps/ my question to you is, can/should I replace the Saltpetre (I have some) with cure#2 and at what % should I replace i.e. how many grams per kilo of meat (bone in)?, I have had a look around the forum but haven't been able to find anything that will guide me. Any other useful info would also be appreciated.

Many thanks
Ped
ped
Registered Member

Postby warston » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:23 pm

first of all welcome to the forums ped !

something i have noticed about this recipe which indicates that it's not really good ( in my opinion):

1-boiling the cure or the saltpeter is not a good idea at all as if you google well about the cures, specially saltpeter you will find that bring it to a certain heat ( up to 75 Celsius) causing it to be carcinogenic ! and in this recipe the guy boil the cure TWICE !

2- the real proscuitto (if i'm not wrong) is air dry ONLY and the guy had brining stuff in his recipe , that's beside the uncertain amount of salt peter if you cut is less than 10 or more ( his recipe is 5 tsp) and very few days ( 8 days !!)
warston
Registered Member

Postby ped » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi Warston, thanks for your welcome (if somewhat belated ! :wink: ), yes I too noted the heating saltpetre bit and was intending to add that or whatever alternative when liquid was cold. I appreciate that it doesn't follow the dry curing of say Parma but as it made reference to the fact that his family have done it for some time I thought that it was probably tried and tested, I was initially intending to just use salt without cure but have started to get cold feet and wanted to include some insurance (saltpetre/cure#2), the thought of spoilage and possible death doesn't appeal :shock:

Any more thoughts anyone?

Ped
ped
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm

warston wrote:first of all welcome to the forums ped !

something i have noticed about this recipe which indicates that it's not really good ( in my opinion):

1-boiling the cure or the saltpeter is not a good idea at all as if you google well about the cures, specially saltpeter you will find that bring it to a certain heat ( up to 75 Celsius) causing it to be carcinogenic ! and in this recipe the guy boil the cure TWICE !

2- the real proscuitto (if i'm not wrong) is air dry ONLY and the guy had brining stuff in his recipe , that's beside the uncertain amount of salt peter if you cut is less than 10 or more ( his recipe is 5 tsp) and very few days ( 8 days !!)

Sorry, am I missing something?

What's this about not boiling brine cures that contain saltpetre?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

ped wrote:Hi Warston, thanks for your welcome (if somewhat belated ! :wink: ), yes I too noted the heating saltpetre bit and was intending to add that or whatever alternative when liquid was cold. I appreciate that it doesn't follow the dry curing of say Parma but as it made reference to the fact that his family have done it for some time I thought that it was probably tried and tested, I was initially intending to just use salt without cure but have started to get cold feet and wanted to include some insurance (saltpetre/cure#2), the thought of spoilage and possible death doesn't appeal :shock:

Any more thoughts anyone?

Ped

sry ped just noted that you are not new to the forums :D
well i'm not that expert about those matters, but i just said what i know about it :)
guess phil captian_wassaname and other guys can be more helpful than me
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm

wheels wrote:
warston wrote:first of all welcome to the forums ped !

Sorry, am I missing something?

What's this about not boiling brine cures that contain saltpetre?

Phil

agree about this point. can u please tell ped about the other points as well ? like using saltpeter to cure in 8 days ? and about adding the ascorbic ? and others .. you are the guy
warston
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 pm

probably my fault Phil I never boil nitrate or nitrite always boil up the non soluables and let cool.
I did tell Roger not to boil the cure.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Ah, no problem. AFAIK, you're fine to boil saltpetre. Like you, I add nitrite when it's cooled.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm

ped

I'm afraid that I can't help with this one.

That the cure is enough is evident by the fact that the writer has some lovely looking ham. Whether it's too much? That I can't say; the weight of meat, combined with the short time curing are such that I couldn't be confident in saying whether the level of cure is excessive or not.

Warston mentioned ascorbic. This would not be appropriate as you are trying to provide long term protection.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Curing Techniques