First Proscuitto, help needed

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

First Proscuitto, help needed

Postby ped » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:32 am

Hope some of you can help?

I'm doing my first dry cured ham in the proscuitto style and using the instructions given in Marianski's book "Home Production of Quality meats and sausages," (page 455) on that page it indicates that the ham should be allowed to cure for 3 days per pound, is this correct? as shown on page 448 (under salting a Serrano ham) it says it should be cured for 3 days per kilogram, a massive difference, in my particular case it would be 49 days if using the pound calculation and 22 days if using the kilo calc !!, I was tending towars 22 days but am starting to doubt myself, FYI the ham is bone out and it is being weighted down as suggested
It could be an expensive mistake if I don't get this right :cry:

Many thanks
ped
Registered Member

Postby Dquin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 am

I made one at 1 day per 2 pounds.. I've only made one and let it go for 6 months..i cured it for 17 days..a few more by mistake and it came out salty.

I think the few days less would have made the biggest difference.
Dquin
Registered Member

Postby Dquin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 am

missed the bone out question...is it just the aitch bone or completely boneless?
Dquin
Registered Member

Postby ped » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks Dquin

In answer to the bone in bit, it is completely removed. Reference the number of days, your answer would indicate that it is 2 or 3 days per kilo not pound.
Perhaps you could also answer this if you used Marianski's recipe, the amount of cure used is such that there is no particular residual amount left over so brushing off the excess is pretty irrelevant so did you actually wash off the cure? and if you were me does that mean that I should wash off any cure that might be on the surface within the area where the bone used to be as well as the outer surface?
ped
Registered Member

Re: First Proscuitto, help needed

Postby BriCan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:37 am

ped wrote:Hope some of you can help?

this may or may not be of some help -- it is sure a good read with lots of information, also remember that you are only curing to the center (I dry cure for 14 days)

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... proscuitto
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ped » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks for that Brican, can you help me with the washing issue though?, when you dry cure do you wash off your hams thouroughly including the areas where the bone would have been? I can't see that the ham will stop curing unless I do this, also from what you suggesting I should be looking at days per kilo?

Many thanks
Peter
ped
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 am

ped wrote:Thanks for that Brican, can you help me with the washing issue though?, when you dry cure do you wash off your hams thouroughly including the areas where the bone would have been? I can't see that the ham will stop curing unless I do this, also from what you suggesting I should be looking at days per kilo?

Many thanks
Peter

This might help, my dry cured ham

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... am&start=0
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ped » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for this Brican
ped
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:55 pm

ped wrote:Thanks for this Brican

am tied up with work at the moment and cannot afford to spend much time as I would like.

I have done Proscuitto boneless just about the same way as I did the schinken http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... t=schinken

pm if you like and I will see what I can do
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques