F-LC Culture (best of everything)?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

F-LC Culture (best of everything)?

Postby ericrice » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Prior to this year I have mainly relied on TSP-X for traditional and F-RM-52 or LHP for fast. This year I got a packet of F-LC which is stated as allowing traditional as well as fast acidification depending on the fermentation temp. I've already used for traditional and the results were fine. However I have not tried it at higher temps. Plan to do pork roll this weekend and that looks for fast acidification (Poli calls for LHP). Last year using LHP the pork roll was great.

Also - considering most of us never produce enough product to use an entire packet I end up spending more than I need on multiple cultures just to throw some out.

Does anyone have experience using this culture across a wide range of temps? If so results?

Anyone think I'm missing anything thinking this could be the only culture needed for all products and ensure I'm not spending (and wasting) multiple culture.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: F-LC Culture (best of everything)?

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

I use F-LC almost exclusively, not only is it usually the least expensive culture, it has the added benefit of protecting against Listeria, and believe me, Listeria is something everyone should be concerned about. We had a cow that died from Listeriosis several years ago, it was a shocking site. In addition to other neurological symptoms, she lost control of the muscles in her neck and her head spun around and was facing directly backwards. Very sad.

"F-LC is recommended for the production of all types of fermented sausages. Depending on fermentation temperature, acidification is either traditional, fast or extra fast."

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=741

Because flavor perceptions and preferences are subjective, you'll just have to give it a try and see if it suits you when it comes to fast-ferments.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Re: F-LC Culture (best of everything)?

Postby Dquin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I will be using F-LC as culture at 70 F and 100 % rh for 48 hours with FL-C the longer and shorter the ferment along with the wide range of temps vary the tanginess it will result
Dquin
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques