Pepperoni dried fast.

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Pepperoni dried fast.

Postby Phone Guy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 pm

I recently made a curing chamber with a freezer, temp control, humidity controller, humidifier and de- humidity exhaust fan. Also a heater on a different temp controller. I have the temp set a 60deg f and the humidity between 60 and 70%. All mostly stable, the temp +- 2deg f.
I made a batch of Pepperoni using the recipe Ruhlman has in Charcuterie. All seamed to be going well except I was expecting the pepperoni to take 6-8 days and I weighed it after 5 days, including incubation of 24hrs and it has lost about 44% of it's weight. It tastes ok tangy but dry. Not case hardened but consistent texture throughout. I used hog casings that were a little smaller than normal but not so much that it should have made a difference like this.

I also have a batch of Soppressata that I made using beef middles in that I stuffed the same day as the pepperoni. It so far has lost about 20% of it's weight. That seems like a lot for something that should take 3-4 weeks to finish.

These were my first attempt at dried salami.

What could have caused the pepperoni to dry so fast? Is it ok to eat?
Phone Guy
Newly Registered

Re: Pepperoni dried fast.

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi,
If you added the correct cure it will be safe to eat. Some members with more knowledge than me will get in on this in regard to the fast drying times.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 pm

That seems far too quick.

Maybe, turn off the fan and see what happens?

I'd also go for a slightly higher humidity in the early stages.

I prefer a little lower temperature as well, around 55°f - it's personal preference, but things seem to work for me better at that temp.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby LouisJ » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm

On a side note, i would be very interested in learning about your freezer conversion to curing chamber with maybe some pictures as i want to embark on creating my own curing chamber from an old fridge shortly.

Would be good to know where you sourced the different parts from

regards

Louis
LouisJ
Registered Member

Postby Phone Guy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

I bought a used upright freezer from Craigslist for $75 US. The temp controller is made by Love and its a TS-13010. I have had it for years and used it for my Bradley smoker. http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Tempe ... S/Ordering
I bought a humidity controller - C.A.P. HUM1 for $79 US from a Hydroponics place on ebay. The humidifier came from a yard sale for $4. US. The exhaust fan for dehumidity came from an old PC - free. I also already had a temp controller from Auber Inst. that is for my Bradley smoker. I have it connected to a heater because it drops to freezing at night and getting to around 60 during the day, so no cost there. Cut a few holes and fine tunned it. I'll try to post a pic or 2
Phone Guy
Newly Registered

Return to Curing Techniques