Maple Syrup bacon

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Maple Syrup bacon

Postby aris » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:56 am

Thanks to Franco's fantastic bacon cure, my family is totally hooked on home-made bacon. We had some of the shop bought stuff yesterday, and it was disgusting in comparison. Never again!

So, now i'd like to experiment with some flavours. If I wanted to add a maple syrup flavour, when would be the best time to do this? After rubbing in the cure (which already contains demerrara sugar), or after the cure is complete and i've washed the bacon of any excess cure?

Has anyone got any other suggestions? I've heard that juniper berries are a popular flavouring.
aris
Site Admin

bacon flavours

Postby Franco » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:13 pm

Aris, I sometimes add spices to the cure, my favourite is a mixture of ground coriander seed, ginger and sage. I put around 10 grammes of each with 500 grammes of dry cure.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:47 pm

Franco,

If I wanted to mix my own bacon cure, what would I use? Cure #1 or #2? I'm thinking that I can mix it with maple syrup to give a different flavour.
aris
Site Admin

home mix

Postby Franco » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:57 am

Aris, You should use cure 2 at a rate of around 10 grammes per 4.5 kilos of meat, this should not be applied directly to the meat but mixed with salt, sugar and any other spices.

I must add that it is never recommended that you mix your own cure from nitrates and should always use a premixed cure and then add your own flavours.

Franco
Last edited by Franco on Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:28 am

Hi Franco,

I'm not sure what you mean by 10g of cure#2 per kilo per 4.5 kilos of meat. Can you explain?

By a pre-mixed cure - do you mean a prague cure which is pre-mixed with salt?

It is my own flavours i'd like to add - just not demerrara sugar.
aris
Site Admin

Return to Curing Techniques