Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Re: Colorozo salt and Cures # 1 & 2

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 pm

wot he said... :lol:
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby cbrace » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Since I am still on moderation, my posts are not showing up in real time. Please see my post above.
TIA
cbrace
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:52 pm

For what it's worth, here in America, there are at least three Cure #2 formulas.

6.25% nitrite and 1% nitrate.
5.67% nitrite and 3.63% nitrate.
6.25% nitrate and 4% nitrate.

Morton Tender Quick and Sugar Cure are about as close to an "All-Purpose" cure as it gets with .5% nitrite and .5% nitrate.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Gentlemen,
Thank you for all the replies, I realise now that I opened a can of worms.
As Phil suggests, let us hobbyist all stick to the use of cure 1 and 2.
For new American members I noticed that Morton has some salt mixtures with both cures in it available, notably TenderQuick and Sugarcure.
What did open my eyes is that some authors writing books on Charcuterie certainly don't have a clue on safety procedures, especially the Dutch one.
Let's drop the subject, luckily I have both cures in my cupboard.
Robert,(Brican) don't go into hibernation, we all need access to your experience and advise.
Best Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:50 pm

No such thing as an all purpose curing salt.
If I used Colorozo on my sweet cure bacon chops which were 1% salt then,presuming 0.6% nitrite I would end up with 60 ppm which would not suit my purpose.
If we take the site shops "all purpose cur" it does contain both nitrate and nitrite and as such may be considered by many in North America to be unsuitable for bacon curing,surely a purpose for a curing salt.
Now I have no Interest in dried uncooked products.so am not in a position weather BriCans methods are sound or not.
Not having killed someone dont make someone else right.
Jan by his own admission made salami for years with no nitrate with no problems but seems to have decided that a bit of insurance would not go amiss
I dont see why when I recommend nitrate in answer to a question such as the OP a third party should get the ump.and take things personally.
No such thing as an all purpose cure just ready mixes which have very little scope for customising
My advice is still
If you cant get cure#2 then use what you have with saltpetre

Jim.
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Sorry I stopped in mid post to watch the football and couldnt find the edit button.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:34 pm

The idea of an "all-purpose" cure is no different than the idea of "all-purpose" flour, neither will be able to satisfy every possible need and preference. "All-purpose" flour is okay for cake baking or for bread making, but it's not optimum for either situation. One may prefer lower protein flour for cakes and higher protein flour for bread, but, in general, "all-purpose" flour fulfills most needs. Same thing applies to "all-purpose" cure mixes.

It is what it is.

Those of us with special needs and preferences must use something else. :D

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Martin strange as it may seem over here there is no such thing as all purpose flour.
Flour comes as plain,self raising (contains raising agents) wholemeal,strong bread flour etc.
I think that what you call all purpose is what we call plain flour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques