Soppressata - First Time

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Soppressata - First Time

Postby Dwaster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:02 am

Hoping to get some help as I'm curing my first soppressata with little expertise other than what I read on the Internet and some memories of my grandfather. The meat was pork butt with salt, pepper, and a varied amount of other spices, with grappa added in before stuffing.

I've repurposed an old wine fridge that currently sits at 55degrees F and 65% humidity.

I'm about 3 weeks in and the meat is definitely losing size and weight; however, I am getting what look like veins of air bubbles between the meat and the natural casing. The meat was packed tight initially with no bubbles, but I've noticed these on just about all of the meats. It seems to me like the meat is shrinking but the casings are not - but that's obviously a beginner's perspective. Can someone please educate me on:

1. Is this normal and, if not, what causes this and how do I prevent it in the future?

2. Is there anything I can or should do such as use a pin to pop these, squeeze them out, tie them tight with string, wipe down with something, etc?

I'm really hoping to salvage these because otherwise they seem in good shape.

Thanks!
Dwaster
Newly Registered

Re: Soppressata - First Time

Postby larry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 pm

If you didn't prick the casings with a needle right after you filled them, that may have caused the air pockets to appear. Next batch, prick them all around, up and down, and squeeze them gently to compact the meat and get rid of the pockets. For this batch, I would prick all the visible pockets, and if you see mold growing under the casing, try getting some salty water in under the casing, either with a syringe or just rubbing them down and working the water in. I had that problem with some early lonzino I made, and it worked in killing of the mold under the casing. If there's no mold, I wouldn't fool with them. If when you cut into them they are brown and have air pockets, I would toss them. If the air pockets are just on the surface and the meat is the right color, I wouldn't worry.
larry
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Ive had salami pull away from my fibrous casings as it dries. White mold eventually fills the space and it hasn't been a problem. They were stuffed very tight and it was protein lined casings.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:40 am

is there any reason to suspect spoilage at all?

guessing you soaked casing properly, pricking is good and tying too

pack meat really tight in stuffer as well as casing.

Temp and humidity could be a little higher in my view, dont want that beauty to dry too fast! :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques