Curing Methods - Guidance Needed

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Curing Methods - Guidance Needed

Postby Sausage_Man » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi All

Recently i bought Cooked Russian/Salami spice from Crown National and plan on making some Cooked Salami.
The instructions on their website is quite vague in the cooking/curing method.

All they say is to Dry at 55 Degrees Celsius or Cook at 75 Degrees Celsius. I'd like to experiment with both the drying method and the cooking method.

1) I have a Biltong Box that has a globe at the bottom on the box and a bunch of holes drilled all over the box to allow for air circulation - would it be safe to dry the Salami in this Box?
2) What cooking methods do you suggest i use e.g. Poaching it in water, In the Oven at 75 Degrees C or any other methods would be greatly appreciated.
3) 1 more question a bit off topic - I don't have Salami Casings, how else can i make the salami without Casings?

Thanks
SM
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Re: Curing Methods - Guidance Needed

Postby NCPaul » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm

1. Without knowing what is in the spice mix, I would not suggest this. Biltong boxes are meant to dry thin slices of meat quickly. A salami is too thick to dry this way without causing case hardening and spoilage.
2. I like to poach in water to cook sausages. Use a large pot of water so the temperature is easier to hold steady. I would try for an internal temperature of 65-69C, then cool quickly in an ice bath.
3. It is possible to roll up the sausage meat in plastic (if it is heat safe) and cook it in that.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Curing Techniques