Adding Humidity to a Cellar

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Adding Humidity to a Cellar

Postby Chris Ritchie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:26 pm

I have access to a cellar with the right temperature range for dry aging. However, as winter progresses the humidity is going to drop. the RH is 70-75 right now but will lower in the next two months down to 55-65. The space is too large to just set a humidifier in.

Can I create a structure that will contain and maintain added humidity?

I don't want to build an outright room within the cellar if I don't have to.

Does anybody have experience with enclosing a space?

I am imagining something low-tech like a canvas tent or a frame with cloth.

Thanks
Chris Ritchie
Registered Member

Re: Adding Humidity to a Cellar

Postby DanMcG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm just getting set up for the same thing but I have a converted frig.
I don't know why you couldn't make a small room like a meter square out of plastic and add the humidity and a small fan. it's basicly the same as I'm doing with the frig.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 am

If the area isn't huge, hanging a few damp towels is an easy way to up the humidity.
I do that on my unheated enclosed porch.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby Chris Ritchie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:17 am

I have the beginnings of a curing fridge as well. This cellar is close to ideal and I would just as soon use it and not get into the seemingly maddening world of fridge conversion.

The damp towels and plastic sound good. Seems like something I just need to play around with.
Chris Ritchie
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 pm

I've had success with cheap plastic tarps from Lowe's/Home Depot used for covering up when painting. Not sure of your basement setup but I have exposed beams. Ran one across the ceiling and then enclosed around that. Also one on the floor as the concrete seemed to suck it up. Although I have to fill the humidifier more that I would like I can maintain humidity well into the 70's filling the humidifier about every other day.

Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Chris Ritchie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks Eric,

Your set up is what I am thinking. So you have walls of plastic as well as plastic on the ceiling and floor?
What kind/size of humidifier are you using? Ultrasonic I presume?
Would it be worth it to get a larger capacity humidifier?

Do you use a seperate humidifier control? Do you like the results?

P.S. WHat is curing in the caul fat?
Chris Ritchie
Registered Member

Postby Chris Ritchie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Oh, and Eric, what is the typical baseline humidity of your basement that you have to compensate for?
Chris Ritchie
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Yes, plastic on all four sides - it's not on the walls technically, just draped down from ceiling to floor with additional plastic if that makes sense. Clothespins to somwewhat fasten the top, bottom and sides for a decent seal but I don't go nuts with that. Humidifier is an ultrasonic crane (the cow in the bottom left) and yes I use a humidistat. Guessing but the space is about 15ft by 5ft and no need for a larger humidifier. My setup is right next to our heat pump in the basement so without the plastic I had very low humidity - typically in the low to mid 50's in winter.
Lastly, not caul fat - beef bungs and that is coppa from last year :D

Good luck with the setup - keep us posted.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques