Casing hard to peel off

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Casing hard to peel off

Postby tommix » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 pm

I made some dry cured salami and used 2 3/8 inch protein-lined fibrous casings. All went well; I used mold 600 on the casings and had a thick white coating of mold on the casings during the drying phase. It took 60 days to dry enough to my liking because I ran the humidity a little high.

Anyway the only trouble is that when I try to peel the casing off it just sort of falls apart and you can't get a good piece to tear or peel off the salami. I love the synthetic casings because I can stuff them really tight without fear of breaking one but I would like a casing that would peel off easier. What type of casings do all of you use for dry cured salami??

Thank-you
tommix
Registered Member

Re: Casing hard to peel off

Postby Dingo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Tommix, I use beef middles. to date the 30-35mm size that after drying end up about the size of hog casing. I find you cant peel them off either...i tend to just leave them on and eat them.
I just ordered some 50mm casings for my next salami...elk vension salami :drool:
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Think it was Poli's suggestion but I read somewhere to run briefly under hot water. I have used that method successfully countless times.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for the replies, I did have a short piece that I soaked in cold water for a while thinking that it would help release the casing. All that did was make the casing a slimy mess, so far I have found that just taking a knife and scraping it off works the best.
tommix
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:04 pm

I'll have to try the hot water trick, thanks. I've had the protein lined casings come off super easy sometimes and other times they are stuck like glue and i have to cut them off wasting a bunch of finished product. There seems to be more grease between the sausage and the casing when they come off easy which lends credence to the hot water method if some of the fat starts to melt a little.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Also believe the salami is supposed to be cold for the best result, not frozen but cold.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques