making guanciale

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

making guanciale

Postby chefcheryl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:21 am

Question about curing guanciale. I followed the instructions in Ruhlmans book Salumi, however I added cure #2 to the dry cure. Allowed to sit on the meat for 5 days then rinsed with cool water then white wine. Hung the guanciale in my curing chamber/wine cooler. About week 3 noticed small white mold spots on the front pieces and toward the rear of the chamber the pieces had developed small greenish/black spots. I pull the meat and washed all the mold off and repack a new mixture of dry cure on the meat. I allowed it to sit 48 hours in refrigeration. Re-rinsed the meat, same with H20 then white wine. Re-hung the meat in chamber, this time installed a small fan inside to keep air moving. Temp. is good, holding at 55-57degrees. So far all is well. No more mold. How can know if meat is OK?
chefcheryl
Registered Member

Re: making guanciale

Postby chefcheryl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:11 am

Following up for anyone interested. I continued to cure the guanciale until the proper moisture loss of approx. 30% of the original weight of the jowls. No signs of any mold again. The guanciale came out great, no problems, great flavor. I am trying again, another batch this time I will make a few changes with time in the dry cure, flavors, and humidity. Chef Cheryl
chefcheryl
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:50 pm

That great!
Would love some photos.....I'm waiting on some jowls to arrive and plan on trying this. :-)
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:10 pm

I missed this when it was first posted, so a belated welcome Chefcheryl.

I'm glad it worked out OK.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Curing Techniques