Dry Aged Steaks

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Re: Dry Aged Steaks

Postby kil2k » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Dibbs wrote:I've used the bags from smokedust. They work but lose some of their vacuum in a day or two. I've found it best to put some elastic netting over the bag to keep it tight on the meat.

How did the beef turn out, and how long did you age them for?
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby deeps-23 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:46 pm

looking foreward to seeing results, will have a go as soon as results come through
deeps-23
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:11 pm

After reading the instructions that Tony sent, it appears their bags only work with chamber vacuum sealers, not external sealers. I asked him about that, and he said that "the product will work well without vacuum packing as you just need to get the bag in contact with all the surface of the meat then it will bond well during the dry aging process".

They are planning on sourcing some VacMouse adapters from UMAI in the US, and will hopefully update me when they are in stock.
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:24 pm

kil2k wrote:
Dibbs wrote:I've used the bags from smokedust. They work but lose some of their vacuum in a day or two. I've found it best to put some elastic netting over the bag to keep it tight on the meat.

How did the beef turn out, and how long did you age them for?

I didn't use them for steak but for drying lomo and salami. They worked fine with no noticeable case hardening.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:34 pm

kil2k wrote:After reading the instructions that Tony sent, it appears their bags only work with chamber vacuum sealers, not external sealers. I asked him about that, and he said that "the product will work well without vacuum packing as you just need to get the bag in contact with all the surface of the meat then it will bond well during the dry aging process".

They are planning on sourcing some VacMouse adapters from UMAI in the US, and will hopefully update me when they are in stock.

They sent me some thin plastic netting to put in the mouth of the bag supposedly enabling an external sealer to work. It wasn't very successful, but I found that using a strip cut from a normal vacuum bag in the mouth worked better.

Also you need to scrunch up the bag itself a bit so that it isn't completely smooth. That seems to prevent is sealing itself up further down from the mouth. There is a UMAI video that shows this here about 2 minutes in https://youtu.be/wOz6FaOd2NU?t=116
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby Goaty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm

I had a flick through the Wedlin boards for stuff on UMAi bags.

It would seem that they're rebranded versions of an original product called Tublin (Tublin 10), made by a Danish company called Tubex.

After corresponding with a very nice lady there it would seem that the UK agent for these is..... Weald Packaging.

They're also sending me some samples (I don't need them for dry ageing as I do my own primals), but I'll give it a try & also use some for some cured stuff then post back.

She was quite specific that they don't sell to private customers only trade though......
Goaty
Registered Member

Postby Shuswap » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Umai recommends double sealing the bag to prevent this.
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:33 pm

Shuswap wrote:

Umai recommends double sealing the bag to prevent this.

I do that but I think a bit of air gets in through the plastic itself rather than a faulty seal.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby chrisby27 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi,
Just came accross this old thread and my first post here, hi!
I too am trying to source in the UK some of these bags, but what i would like to know is what is the difference between Umai bags and other food vaccum bags that you can purchase for sealers. Mine i have look just the same Umai.
chrisby27
Registered Member

Postby chrisby27 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:29 pm

To answer my own question which i just found on Google and if anyone else finds this post wondering what i did.....

Because DryAgePro dry ageing bags are oxygen and moisture permeable, they are not vacuum packaging and do not allow the growth of high levels of anaerobic bacteria. Additionally, DryAgePro dry aging bags can be used to dry the cured meats at lower temperature and humidity levels than conventional open air methods.
chrisby27
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:02 pm

There are a number of sources of these bags in the UK - just Google Umai Bags UK.

You are correct - they are not vacuum bags.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques