Question about Lomo

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Question about Lomo

Postby Dingo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:50 pm

So i'm in the process of making a lomo. I just cased it today. I cased it in a synthetic casing that i've been using for the Mortadella and Zampone i previously made. My question to ye wise people...

Should i prick the casing all over to help with drying/weight loss? Or just leave it be? This is my first experience aging with a synthetic casing. Any/all help appreciated.

Dingo
Registered Member

Re: Question about Lomo

Postby BriCan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Dingo wrote:So i'm in the process of making a lomo. I just cased it today. I cased it in a synthetic casing that i've been using for the Mortadella and Zampone i previously made. My question to ye wise people...

I am not wise by far :?

Should i prick the casing all over to help with drying/weight loss? Or just leave it be? This is my first experience aging with a synthetic casing. Any/all help appreciated.

but I asked the same question at the place where I get my casings ..... and they said ... Yes. :|
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:17 pm

Interesting, I thought pricking was only to remove unwanted air. Learned something new again.
Oh and nice lomo
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:50 am

Thanks Brican and Dan, i'll go-a-pricking in the morning. Any advise on how intensely i should do it?
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:07 pm

I was thinking of trying some lomo for a while now ... I am assuming you just did the pure loin? What size casing did it require?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:28 pm

ComradeQ wrote:I was thinking of trying some lomo for a while now ... I am assuming you just did the pure loin? What size casing did it require?

Hi ComradeQ, yep, i recently came into possession of 1/2 a hog and had it into primals. i divided the whole loin into 3 and made lomo, canadian bacon and a regular loin roast for sunday dinner.
I used the clear fibrous casings from butcher-packer...the 3.94". I got lucky and the loin squeezed in there. I was expecting to have to cut 2 casings lengthwise and tie. A beef bung would probably be better but I'm saving the one I have left for a Coppa.

There aren't a lot of recipe's for Lomo online...there are a few..I sort of blended a couple of them for my concoction. :shock:
Dingo
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques