Beginners curing chamber(/fridge)

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Beginners curing chamber(/fridge)

Postby Magaly » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:37 am

Hello,

Next month I'm gonna try and make my first cured meats, I'm going to make gammon, bacon, french dried sausage (saucisson) and prosciutto style dried (pieces of) ham.

For the drying/aging of the prosciutto and sausages I'm thinking of making a basic curing chamber from and old fridge and temperature controller we already have. The only thing I need now is something to control the humidity and I was wondering if a tray of salted water/wet salt in the bottom of the fridge would be enough? Do I also need a fan in there or is that not necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Magaly
Magaly
Registered Member

Re: Beginners curing chamber(/fridge)

Postby vagreys » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:24 pm

While it depends to some degree on your climate and individual chamber design, if you are converting a fridge you will likely need a fan. Many use desktop PC cooling fans, either purchased or recycled. With the same dependencies on climate and design, you may need more sophisticated humidity control for what you want to do over time. Some folks are satisfied with a saturated saline solution and a single humidity setting, in which case you will absolutely need a fan, while others want more control to provide variable humidity for different curing needs. As you browse the forum, you will find discussions of peoples' curing setups, often with photos. These should give you some food for thought.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re: Beginners curing chamber(/fridge)

Postby Magaly » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Ok, I'll probably just use the fridge and saline solution for this time and maybe next time I'll invest in a better and adjustable setup.
Magaly
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques