Dry cure bacon timing

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Re: Dry cure bacon timing

Postby boffin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:17 pm

After two years of experiments curing pork belly these are my conclusions. 1) dry cure is definitely the best
2) Curing in a bag produces a tougher bacon. 3) I cure in a tray in a fridge using a weighed quantity of cure, (at the moment I use 45 gm of cure per kilo of belly but the result somewhat salty). I cure for 7 days, rinse then dry for 1 or 2 days, smoke lightly then hang for three weeks minimum. The improvement in flavour and quality compared with a shorter hanging period is quite remarkable. I hope to add more detail in a few months time.
boffin
Registered Member

Postby Shuswap » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:12 pm

I too can vouch for Brican's eq cure and procedure from beginning to end including his rub that hasn't been mentioned in this thread.
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Do we have a direct link to Brican's cure? I hate to admit it, but I can't find it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:00 am

Hi Phil,
Here is Robert's Black Forest spice mix. I use it now on a few other EQ cured porky bits. My grandkids love the bacon etc etc. I can't argue with their expertise!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.

Black Forest Spice Mixture:
125gm White pepper
25gm Ground nutmeg
25gm Ground mace
15gm Ground cardamom
200gm White sugar
Mix thoroughly, then store in an opaque jar out in a cool, dry place.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:20 am

boffin wrote:After two years of experiments curing pork belly these are my conclusions.
1) dry cure is definitely the best

In my opinion also true :)

2) Curing in a bag produces a tougher bacon.

Not true, what normally makes tougher bacon if it is left in the liquid that comes out of the belly while curing

3) I cure in a tray in a fridge using a weighed quantity of cure, (at the moment I use 45 gm of cure per kilo of belly but the result somewhat salty).

What consists of the cure??

Doing a EQ cure will rectify you having salty bacon --- 2% Salt and 0.25% Cure #1

I cure for 7 days, rinse then dry for 1 or 2 days, smoke lightly then hang for three weeks minimum.

I do about the same, bellies in a 7 day EQ cure, lightly rinsed and hung to dry at room temperature ( 13C ) then cold smoked for up to 72 hours then aged/matured for no less than 3 days but normally up to 7 days again this being at room temperature -- all these steps produce an unbelievable depth of flavour

The improvement in flavour and quality compared with a shorter hanging period is quite remarkable. I hope to add more detail in a few months time.

Looking farward to your results
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:21 am

Shuswap wrote:I too can vouch for Brican's eq cure and procedure from beginning to end including his rub that hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

I dust not rub :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:25 am

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Phil,
Here is Robert's Black Forest spice mix. I use it now on a few other EQ cured porky bits. My grandkids love the bacon etc etc. I can't argue with their expertise!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.

Black Forest Spice Mixture:
125gm White pepper
25gm Ground nutmeg
25gm Ground mace
15gm Ground cardamom
200gm White sugar
Mix thoroughly, then store in an opaque jar out in a cool, dry place.

Thanks for that Jan :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Shuswap » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:10 pm

I have searched all the forums where Brican's maple bacon has been discussed and collected comments made by Robert and other respected contributrors. Here is one by Wheels that should be added to this thread that relates to the final stage of aging the bacon:

Wheels wrote on this forum: " Try and age it below 15°C. Above that and Staphylococcus aureus can be an issue. Around 10 - 12°C and 70 - 75% RH would be great.

If not, lightly wrapped in greaseproof or parchment paper in the fridge will suffice."
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:03 pm

I can't argue with any of that!

My preference is for a little more salt than Brican, along with a little sugar. However, the saltiness of bacon is very personal. Some like more: some less! Many commercial bacon's are 3 - 4+%. Yes I found one at 4.68%! So it's not something that's 'right or wrong'.

For me, the convenience of vac-pac curing far outweighs the slight disadvantage. I also observe that whilst the drained product is more tender if used shortly after curing, due no doubt to the fact that it loses more weight during curing than the vac-pac version, it all seems to even itself out given a decent period of maturing.

To me, above all, it's decent maturing that changes good bacon into superb bacon.

For those that come after, what usage rate would you suggest for Brican's spice mix?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shuswap » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Phil, from my notes on Brican's comments previously, 2 Tablespoons per 5 lb belly.
Phil
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Many thanks.

Now, I'm going to 'chuck one in'. I don't want WW3 to break out, and I know that Brican's Mentor was a German Butcher who knew his stuff, but those spices, great as they no doubt are, don't shout 'Black Forest' to me. To me Black Forest spices would be pepper, coriander, garlic and juniper berries - mainly 'cos there the ones that the Black Forest Ham Association (Schwarzwälder Schinken Verband) say are used. Of those, to me the key element is Juniper.

Is this mix for the USA style Black Forest Ham that's a cooked ham? Or the raw German one?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shuswap » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:40 am

Phil, thanks for pointing us to the Schinken association. This page on their website (in english) is interesting and re-enforces the role of juniper berries. Also, interesting to me, is their use of fir wood chips and sawdust in smoking. I have always understood to keep away from softwoods in smoking meat. I live in a conifer forest.
Phil
http://www.schwarzwaelder-schinken-verb ... stellung#4
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:07 pm

There's no doubt an art to getting it so that it doesn't taste like turpentine!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:05 am

wheels wrote:
For those that come after, what usage rate would you suggest for Brican's spice mix?

Phil

50 grams to a 4535 gram boneless rind on belly 8)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:22 am

wheels wrote:Many thanks.

Now, I'm going to 'chuck one in'. I don't want WW3 to break out,

:lol:

and I know that Brican's Mentor was a German Butcher who knew his stuff, but those spices, great as they no doubt are, don't shout 'Black Forest' to me.

The conversation on the World Wide Forum is where the Black Forest spices was first coined but not by me -- granted I did not correct as it spread rather quickly

It was my mentors spice combination for his bacon --- use 25g of Cardamon instead of 15g's ;)

To me Black Forest spices would be pepper, coriander, garlic and juniper berries - mainly 'cos there the ones that the Black Forest Ham Association (Schwarzwälder Schinken Verband) say are used. Of those, to me the key element is Juniper.

You forgot the cloves :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Curing Techniques