A Busy Weekend!!

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

A Busy Weekend!!

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 pm

I had a very busy weekend with varying degrees of success.

I started off with my Pheasant and venison Sausages. They were made up of:

2.5kg Phheasant meat, legs and breast with fat
1.5kg Venison
1kg streaky bacon
1kg pork belly (added after testing as mix was too salty)
300g Rusk
150g Franco's Game mix
250g chopped apricots
2 pints Water

These ended up with a very distinct flavour but enjoyed by all that tried them.

The next project was my leg of pork that was tunnel boned and treated to Franco's Parma Ham cure. Ive wrapped it in Cling Film and it has already given up a cup of fluid. It is in the out house as I had a long leg cut with the trotter left on. This means I couldn't get it into the fridge. One thing that I didn't see here in the instructions was the weight on top of the curing leg. Mine is covered in a board with about 10kg's on top. The leg is flattening nicely. This is my first try and so I'm quite keen to see how it goes!! The leg weighed 12kg's with the bonein so I plan to give it a total of about 35-37days curing as I will be on hols for the 30th day....

The third mission was the venison salami. This was probably the least succesful activity. I lost the blade for my mincer so had to hand chop 3.5kg meat. I had cured the meat with 70g of salt and 5g of Cure#2. when the strips came out of the fridge after 2 days curing they were firm and sort of slippery... (if that makes sense??) I added 2 tablespoons of crushed black Pepper to the mix and stuffed in ox runners, again by hand.

I forgot to add the garlic and the starter culture as I was in a serious rush to finish, as I had guests... I was expecting the worst but already they are dring in an outhouse and look like I imagined they would look so there might be hope. I measured Temp and RH which were 14oC and 48% last night. I'll check tonight and find out what the min and max figures were for the day then think of moving them if the numbers aren't right. I was going to give them the Camambert wash to encourage the mould but can't decide. How important do you think it is that I do this? I'm not massively keen on the mould concept TBH, so if it can work with out it, so any opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

This is also my first salami making experience so I hope it will be a valuable lesson in the process even if they don't succeed.

Finally We went out on Sunday mng and got another Fallow buck so I suppose I need to get on with making some more sausages!!! :lol:

Rgds,

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques