Problem with Air Dried Ham

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Problem with Air Dried Ham

Postby giannis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi i am new member of this forum my English is not so well (I'll use google translate) I live in a mountain village with altitude 750 meters from the surface of the sea,the microclimate is dry and winter has a duration 7 to 8 months the house that I hang the meats it is old and built with stone
Let's get to our point.
1) 20/12/2015 It is the second year that i make maturing meat, in the first year i did the recipe
of spanish jamon (homemade pork rear leg with initial weight 14 kgr), was successful fifty fifty it was tough and very salty was buried in thik salt for 30 days with the corresponding over turnings every 10 days with the necessary massages with salt,from the moment it came out of salt I washed it with cold water, then I hung it in the cold natural ventilated room at a temperature 0 to 4 degrees °C and humidity 80% to 90% for approximately 50 days, then as the spring approached the temperature was rising gradually 7 to 10 °C and humidity 55% to 65% after 65 to 70 days I put on the surface of the meat lard mix with rice flour and black pepper, the summer the highest temperature in the cellar was between then 24 - 28°C humidity 35% to 50% just check for any problems and that was over, the maturation has been kept 12 months (the final weight 10kgr) but we ate it we did not throw it :D

2) 19/01/2017 I have bought 2 pork rear legs from a butcher (initial weight 12 kgr each piece)
for one I followed the Italian recipe prosciutto San Daniele (whole leg) the recipe of San Daniele
is fewer days in salt (1kilogram meat per day that is 12 days) and with weight twice the weight of the
leg that is 24 kgr also added to the surface of the meat (not the skin) smoked paprika,melted grains black pepper,one cup white sugar, and rosemary twigs, (the temperatures is approximately the same of the first paragraph which I mentioned above) 32 days after I put on the surface of the meat lard mix with rice flour and black pepper one centimeter thick (with the logic not drying out and hardening the meat, which is wrong) I left it so for seven months without controlling it under the lard he did not show me externally that something was wrong neither smells bad or something else but when I removed the lard to taste the meat
the news were not so good the meat did it not smell bad the flavour it is sour and the texture very raw
so it's prohibitive to eat it and perhaps dangerous do you have anything more to advise me?

Edit:The secont leg i did the recipe spanish jamon but not 30 days in salt but 20 days
i put the lard same time and day with the prosciutto but that did not happen bad the taste is normal just did not mature.
giannis
Registered Member

Re: Problem with Air Dried Ham

Postby giannis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 pm

More one question for air dried meats: there is the possibility of infecting one meat another
next to each other.
giannis
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I don't know what I could tell you about hams since I just started making them myself this year. As I understand it, most hams go bad starting along the bone and the smell is unmistakable.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm

3 hams ruined is not good. Maybe start with drying a smaller piece of meat for practice. Here is a link to a document with the method used by the man who owns the shop that provides this site. Do it like he does and you will be successful:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/sausag ... pe_Ham.pdf

I hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby giannis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Thank you for your interest and I'm happy to find a response to this forum
the hams that were spoiled are not three are one and that's where I put it less salt.
Τoday i cut the outside there was no infection the flavor is very well no salty and sweet like
prosciutto san daniele if it did not fail it would be 100% success.
giannis
Registered Member

Postby giannis » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Today I started to cut out the prosciutto to keep the good pieces not infected
but I finally saw that the meat did not molder.
I think about for sour flavor is responsible the spice recipe I followed: Smoked paprika,black pepper,
and rosemary.
giannis
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques