Duck Prosciutto

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Duck Prosciutto

Postby catfishhoward » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:35 pm

I’m attempting duck prosciutto for the 1st time and was planning on hanging the duck breast in cheese cloth in the fridge. I’ve seen where people have weighted the breast once it comes out of the brine and wrapped in cheese cloth and when it losses 30% from that weight after the brine it’s done. That seems like a lot since the dry brine has already pulled moister out. I haven’t found anything official on line how to do this method correctly and safely. Is the 30% weight before the dry brine or after the dry brine?, since I’ve never done this it would be hard to tell by touch? The method I’m using is below.

Mixed together:
2 – cups canning salt
1 –cup white sugar
1 –cup dark brown sugar
¼ tsp pink salt – (just under ¼ tsp) – 13.5 oz of duck breast
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pickling spice
4 thin duck breast slices – 13.5 oz - total weight

I plan on brining in the fridge for 24 hours, quick rinse, pat dry, cover the breast with cracked pepper and wrap in cheese cloth.

I wanted to do a cold smoke at 90 degrees for 1 hour using some apple wood, should I smoke it with the cheese cloth or without? or should I smoke it after it dries in the fridge?
catfishhoward
Registered Member

Re: Duck Prosciutto

Postby catfishhoward » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Well, I just pull the 4 small breast from the dry brine after 24 hours in the fridge and they went from 13.50 oz to 10.40 oz so they lost 23% moister already, this is why I'm asking if the 30% weight loss is before the brine or after, 30% or 53% weight loss in this case.
catfishhoward
Registered Member

Postby catfishhoward » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Well, the breast came out of the 24 hour cure and loss 23% from the original weight. I couldn't find any information on smoking before, after or for how long so I'm just winging it? I just finished smoking for 1-1/2 hour at 70 degrees with apple wood chips with the cheese cloth on. Not sure if the smoke did a lot other than give the cheese cloth a smoke flavor? Fridge at 37 degrees and 50 humidity? Will see. The 2 in front were smoked and the back 2 not smoked.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LlFf_1GtVWD1M6Ftghn2YSu4BexB7zLr
catfishhoward
Registered Member

Postby catfishhoward » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:59 pm

I pulled the duck breast out of the fridge after 8 days in the fridge and it did lose an additional 30% more weight in the fridge. It was a little salty and a little dry around the edgs but pretty good considering how small the strip was, maybe next time I'll try a whole breast.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLt11B7Jj3ZF-KXiOQNBRbcx57kjYFG-/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CVh5DZBn3zPbJQ1fLuAR7Jdz7SQOkwH3/view?usp=sharing
catfishhoward
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques