New to this. Converting a Quirks display cooler.

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

New to this. Converting a Quirks display cooler.

Postby Rooster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:16 am

Hello all, this is my first post on this site.
I have been reading the various posts and decided to join as the site appears to be a wonderful resource.
I have experimented with air dried Salumi in my previous home with varied results. I also had a huge success with an air cured Prosciutto which I left alone for two years.
Now that we have moved to a new home, I have decided to bite the bullet and have acquired a Quirks upright glass fronted display cabinet. It still runs and is in excellent condition.
Unfortunately I have to leave it in my garage now we've moved and here in Australia, the temps fluctuate wildly from the mid 40's to below freezing (C) and the garage follows those temps fairly closely.
I think I can make a bit of difference by insulating the large panel lift door but it won't be as good as my old underground store room. Then there is the exhaust from cars but there is not much I can do about that.
So, this is my problem;
I can't get the Quirks unit to run warm enough and am about to purchase a Keg King MK2 Temp controller which I think will sort that out. I hope to be able to set the high and low range within 15degrees with this unit.

I will also buy a Ultrasonic humidifier but haven't got any idea about what I need to turn that on and off once correct RH is achieved. Any ideas on this will be appreciated.
Finally, I would love to hear from someone who may know where the coolant lines in the Quirks FKG 410 are, I'm presuming that I will need to drill at least one hole to put a thermostat in and I start sweating when I think of piercing a line.
Rooster
Newly Registered

Re: New to this. Converting a Quirks display cooler.

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi, welcome.

I missed this post until now. Obviously Australia is a very different place to the UK, but I have details of how I converted my fridge here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=convert-fridge

It may help. Or, there's more info on Jason's site:

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2012/08/ ... mbers.html

I hope these help. The thing you need to turn on/off your humidifier is a hygrostat.

I hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: New to this. Converting a Quirks display cooler.

Postby Rooster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 am

Thanks Phil. I'm almost at the stage where I can give it a trial run.
I appreciate your assistance, they are very helpful links.
Steve L
Rooster
Newly Registered

Return to Curing Techniques