Pancetta and mould question:

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Pancetta and mould question:

Postby MikeD » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:53 pm

Okay this is my first venture into dry curing pancetta tesa. All went well in the first stage, then after removing from the first cure, the pancetta was washed down with beer, then patted dry, the further ingredients were then added and the pancetta placed in a dry curing bag, sealed and weighed at 907gm, then placed on a wire rack in my fridge. First week 834gm. Second week 756gm. Third week 701gm. Fourth week 655gm. Fifth week 612gm, but examining the pancetta, horror of horrors at one end of the pancetta there are some white mould patches with light green mould in the centre of some of these patches.
Question is, what to do, do I make a 50% vinegar water solution and removing the pancetta from the dry curing bag wipe the mould off then dry the area or what else can I do? Also does this mould render my pancetta inedible? I look forward to some advice from any experienced pancetta makers. Regards
Mike
MikeD
Registered Member

Re: Pancetta and mould question:

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 am

I would wipe it down with vinegar and let it continue drying on a rack in the fridge. The humidity in the fridge should be low enough that the mold should not return.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Pancetta and mould question:

Postby MikeD » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am

Hi
Thanks for that, I have just wiped it down with distilled vinegar and the mould came away with no problems, I have now, as per your advice removed it from the dry aging bag and placed it on a rack inside the refrigerator, I will make a point of checking it out daily, and am hoping to begin having a taste some time towards the weekend as it has lost more than the 30% of its original weight and looks very inviting, thanks again for your advice.
Mike
MikeD
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques